Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clipped sinewave clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfaisalbe

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I have been using square wave output oscillator to feed FPGA . I have seen oscillators with clipped sinewave output. If I use those oscillators (replacing the square wave output oscillator), Would it cause a problem ?

Based on my little knowledge , No need to be a square wave , as long as the frequency is maintained. When it is a clipped sine wave , I would think it has both positive and negative half.

Also ouput impedance of oscillator is specified as 10 Kohm // 10 pF. How this will affect ?

Here is the data sheet

**broken link removed**

Thanks

Using clipped sin oscillator directly is incorrect
1) slow edges
2) 0.8 Vp-p Output
You need use additional external circuits.
See attachment.

Attachments

• AP20100105-Utilize Clipped Sine Waveform in Circuit Design.pdf
    534.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

I don't think you can simply replace your LVCMOS output XO with a clipped sinewave output XO and expect the same results. The clipped sinewave, is just that, a sinewave which means its edges will not be sharp as in the case of a square wave output XO.

I am not an expert in this area but that's my 2 cents.

If you've learned better since please let me know.

Thanks,
Gavin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back