Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Class AB stage for a LDO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wept

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

I want to design a class AB output stage for a LDO.
Could you please give me some hints or reference?

thanks

Why would you want to waste power? Normally you just have to provide current to the load; usually there's no need to sink current. But may be you've got a different application?

LDO don't need Output stage. If you want to drive large current, you just increase the dimension of Power MOS.

I guess he wants to increase load response (specially for overshoot suppression).

If the LDO delivers a pulse signal frm 0mA to 300mA. The load transient has a drop and then an overshoot.
Without a push-pull stage, the overshoot will be pretty high.

But I am wondering is my consideration of the overshoot in general important for LDOs?
And how much power loss is expected for adding a class AB stage?

If you want to get pretty load transient, you need to improve Error AMP and driver blocks for Power MOS. I don't think push-pull stage is good solution for that.

Class AB is one of solution. Another solution is adding a comparator for overshoot detecting.
Of cos, overshoot suppression is important for LDO design.
Quescient current could be increased with class AB. However, it depends on your design.
If the LDO delivers a pulse signal frm 0mA to 300mA. The load transient has a drop and then an overshoot.
Without a push-pull stage, the overshoot will be pretty high.

But I am wondering is my consideration of the overshoot in general important for LDOs?
And how much power loss is expected for adding a class AB stage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back