Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Checking operating regions of each transistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

design_oriented

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Guys,

I am trying to design a self biased, differential folded cascode opamp and I would like to check the operating region of each transistor in the circuit.

I am using Spectre. How can I do this? Is there any tutorial for this?

Also should all transistors be biased in the strong inversion/saturation region?

Thanks.

design_oriented said:
... I would like to check the operating region of each transistor in the circuit.

I am using Spectre. How can I do this? Is there any tutorial for this?
Do you know the Search function in this forum? It works wonderfully! ;-)
See e.g. this topic, or this one.

design_oriented said:
Also should all transistors be biased in the strong inversion/saturation region?
In saturation region: yes. But better in moderate inversion.

Ok I could see all the regions of operation of the cascode connection shown below.

I have three problems in my simulation:

1. The Von output is higher than the Vop output. How do I match these? Should I play with the lengths and widths of the PMOS devices? I am using NMOS width = 1 um and PMOS width as 2.5 um.

2. In the attached figure, M6,M7,M8,M9 are always off when I run DC simulations. Is that normal?

3. I am getting a gain of about 70. How can I verify if this is correct?

Appreciate your help on this.

What's the supply voltage of your design? Are you aware that this circuit needs a power supply of at least 6V in order to work properly?
design_oriented said:
I have three problems in my simulation:
1. The Von output is higher than the Vop output. How do I match these? Should I play with the lengths and widths of the PMOS devices? I am using NMOS width = 1 um and PMOS width as 2.5 um.
Of course you have to play/calculate on the individual W/L ratios.

design_oriented said:
2. In the attached figure, M6,M7,M8,M9 are always off when I run DC simulations. Is that normal?
Of course not.

Thanks for the feedback,erikl.

I have used another circuit for the lower power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back