Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Chebyshev type I band-pass frequency scaling

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubulescu

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

For a low-pass prototype Chebyshev type I filter, if the ripple in the pass-band is Rp, then the corner frequency will be @-Rp, but if the ripple needs to be less than the attenuation (e.g. Rp=-1 A=-2), one would use this formula:

\[ \omega_{sc} = \frac{\omega_p}{cosh \left(\frac{1}{N} acosh \left( \frac{\epsilon_p}{\epsilon_r} \right) \right)} \]

and, for a high-pass transformation, there will be \[\omega_p \] multiplied by [...], instead of division.

The way I'm using the general transfer function for band-pass is:

\[ H(s) = \frac{a_{1_1} s}{s^2 + b_{1_1} s + b_{0_1} } \cdot \frac{a_{1_2} s}{s^2 + b_{1_2} s + b_{0_2} ) \cdot ... \]

(and, for the band-stop, they will have s^2+a0), adapted to fit the bandwidth requirements for being greater than, or less than 2 (normalized). As you can see I cannot apply the frequency scaling like for the low- or high-pass filters.

So, what I'd like to know is how to use frequency scaling for band-pass/band-stop filters.

Thank you in advance,
Vlad

This is either a curse, or luck, and it's not the first time... After posting I realized that, the way I am using the transfer function is derived from the state-space direct formula which made it possible to find the poles (,zeroes) and use their wp=1 normalized value, resulting in (using idt() as an integral):

\[ H(s)=idt \left( a_1 v_{in}-b_1 v_{out}+ idt \left( a_0 v_{in} - b_0 v_{out} \right) \cdot \omega_p \cdot \omega_{sc} \right) \cdot \omega_p \cdot \omega_{sc} + a_2 v_{in}\]

therefore w_sc was directly used in the final formula, but the correct scaling comes from altering the poles(,zeroes).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back