Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cheapest starterkit for fpga?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davorin

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is the most reasonable priced startkit for FPGA?

I know the xess boards and the ones from Parallax..
Parallax uses bigger devices but have to additional features like sdram/flash...

any other boards recommendable?

preferring xilinx (o;

You might like to take a look at http://www.digilentinc.com , they have some reasonably priced starter kit. I have just received my "PEGASUS" board (US $89.00 plus postage). Haven't played with it yet so I don't know if this is really a great choice. It's xilinx Sparten II based (50K gates).

I suggest you to find one with Spartan3 FPGA, because they are bigger and cheaper. In www.insight.memec.com you will find a good benefit/cost ratio boards.

hai,

dont buy memec board.

support is very worst.

buy xess board

they also cheap and large no support programme.

memec only give test bit file they r not give souce code.

Look at Actel's ProAsicPlus (Reprogrammable FPGA) starter kit.

**broken link removed**

Hmm...also depends which devices are available best in low quantities for private projects...

so I guess I´m stuck with xilinx most probably...never seen any actel device used somewhere so far (o;

The problem with most starterkits is that they are equipped with mostly the smallest device so you end up pretty soon on the limits...or is there any good reference table what SoC system can be done in which device?

What gate size would fit most needs? 50, 100, 200 or 300k?

Any chance maybe to get an obsolete board for starting with FPGA maybe? Someone wants to sell it? (o;

Check also this:
**broken link removed**

$ 195 for board with Xilinx V2Pro is a really amazing price.

may be it is not cheapest but I am using Xess XSA-50 and XSA-100 boards... Spartan-2 50K and 100K FPGA , 8/16MB SDRAM, Flash, VGA.... nice

Status
Not open for further replies.