Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cheapest micro controller required

Status
Not open for further replies.
its better to use at89c52 instead of at89c51

as a beginner i planned to use 8051 micro controller but now i am planing to use PIC12.Is there any advantages for going PIC12 instead of 8051 for my application?
Development Tools and Support - no other uC manufacturer has more low-cost development tools or better support than Microchip.

GSM man is correct! Microchip support is excellent both from the web site and their local representatives who are always ready to give advice and hand out samples of their products. For academic and lite use the compilers etc are free and there is lots of example code.
Always watch the cost of IDEs and compilers, etc. I remember once when evaluating alternative RF controlers being told by one representative that although the devices concerned were a few £ the development environemnt was £2000; which would have been a total waste if one decided against the devices. I did not bother to evaluate the devices concerned.

Always watch the cost of IDEs and compilers, etc. I remember once when evaluating alternative RF controlers being told by one representative that although the devices concerned were a few £ the development environemnt was £2000; which would have been a total waste if one decided against the devices.
That's a good point. Even Microchips' low-end Programmer/Debugger, the $50 PICkit3, will program all of Microchips' uC's; from 8-bit to 32 bit. Many manufacturers will require a different programmer for each device family.

Is there any advantages for going PIC12 instead of 8051 for my application?
The size and the price.
mdorian i hav one doubt,capacitor limiting the current before itself so there is no damage for LED's,but u said leave capacitor y??and what is the need of zero crossing detector.Pls explain for me
The condenser is limiting the voltage on it and the resistor the current through it , maybe you took this schematic from a transformerless power supply witch is suited only for small currents and has a poor efficiency.
and what is the need of zero crossing detector.
Knowing the instantaneous voltage you can calculate the current , the instantaneous voltage u = U*sin(Ω*t) = U sin(2*π*f*t)
U is 230V and f is 50 or 60 Hz you must only find t , the time past since the last zero voltage cross. Search for dimmers theory in the forum to find more.

As i need analog to digital converter in the MC, among PIC12 and PIC10 micro controllers which one is suitable model for my application..please give the model number also

Last edited:

the cheapest micro is taiwanese EMC micro. their EM78P153S is about 0.17usd and their EM78P173S is even cheaper. i already used thousands of them. they are working fine.

www.emc.com.tw

please say among the PIC series and where can i get the control n oscillatory hard ware circuits for the PIC models??

hi

PIC's are definitely good and AVR is also may be more than PIC. finally it's all up to your application
why still 8051's are sold in big quantity? PIC12F series as well as AVR tiny series had ADC,INT OSC and minimum external components required.with maximum of 6 IO's. the same time 8051 devices with the same price, more IO and more Flash.now TI launched cheap 16 bit MSP's with all the above features. so it's all up to your requirement of the product.i think is that don't switch between the MCU's. the AVR and PIC had almost the same capabilities so you can choose either of one. but also keep 8051 devises. who will give you a controller for half a $ with 15 IO's if uou want to make a counter with LCD / 7 segment's out put?. all of them had their own advantages and disadvantages. it's our duty is to chose between them.also check for the availability. the EMC controllers are cheap so is HOLTEC. but are they available at your place or will they be available at the time of production or you have to wait for a month to get the controller

regards

ml

I recommend you PIC10F2xx series, few pins, low power, analog capabilities, low price. I used one of them (10f206) for a switching power supply driven by MCU, few years ago.

Good luck !

hi grigus..can u send the the details of PIC10f206 ie control n oscillatory circuit useful for my hard ware preparation

hi grigus..can u send the the details of PIC10f206 ie control n oscillatory circuit useful for my hard ware preparation

All details available in the datasheet which can be downloaded from microchip website.

Using sms/shorthand typing is not allowed in this forum. Next time you will get a warning.

use Atmel one they are providing low cost and small type micro controller just visit their site

simple logic thing? PIC10F series is your best friend...:))

For a simple switching regulator I recommend you to use the built-in RC oscillator. Consult the datasheet for details.

---------- Post added at 14:28 ---------- Previous post was at 14:25 ----------

simple logic thing? PIC10F series is your best friend...:))

Simple and efficient. Furthermore, when carefully simulated it's easy to get a bug-free product from the first try.

a couple of things.

First, it looks like you have your mosfet reversed. The body diode will conduct as shown.

I guess that your current limiter is set so that the leds will be safe at all times, even during a power surge, correct? And that your mosfet will be switched fully on or off, never in between.

That its you control brightness with pwm, right?

Why do you use a hall effect sensor? Seems like a small shunt resistor (1 ohm) from mosfet to ground will be a lot cheaper way to sense current.

Please can any body give the details of existing LED-driver circuit and operation

Status
Not open for further replies.