Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charging a SLA Battery with configureable Voltage but constant Current

Status
Not open for further replies.

donkey41

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
(I have already post this question in a running thread, but because, perhaps, its main topic is not as this one's, I am posting it in a new Thread. I have also read this Thread but did not find the answer exactly what I wanted to know.)

If the Voltage being applied can be controlled (13.8v - 14.2V), what will happen if I try to charge 7Ah battery with unregulated current (constant) source of 4A ?
If the current has to be adjusted (0.1C or 0.05C), is it possible to put some sort of current limiting circuit at the output of that configureable PS as sort of "plug-in" ?

Please clarify this point as I have a simple SMPS with this configuration.

(I have already post this question in a running thread, but because, perhaps, its main topic is not as this one's, I am posting it in a new Thread. I have also read this Thread but did not find the answer exactly what I wanted to know.)

If the Voltage being applied can be controlled (13.8v - 14.2V), what will happen if I try to charge 7Ah battery with unregulated current (constant) source of 4A ?
If the current has to be adjusted (0.1C or 0.05C), is it possible to put some sort of current limiting circuit at the output of that configureable PS as sort of "plug-in" ?

Please clarify this point as I have a simple SMPS with this configuration.

Hi,

Manufacturer recommendation for charging battery are in battery datasheet. Usually for 7Ah charging current should be something between 0,7-1,1A. Voltage for float charge up to 13,8V and for cycle charge up to 14,4V at 25C.

If you decide to charge your battery faster probably battery will have "fast and furious" life.

These batteries in regular usage-charging have life between 3-5 years, what you think what will be a life of battery with fast charger ? What I saw its between 6 and 12 month in best way.

Best regards,
Peter

Generally speaking most "simple SMPS" rather provide overload shutdown (e.g. in stutter mode) than current limiting. These are badly suited as battery chargers.

You have to lookout for SMPS that have stable current limiting.

Reactions: tpetar

tpetar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back