Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charge Pumps Vs Voltage Multipliers

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't conclude a real difference from just the definition in a Wikipedia article.

Okay, one line is not a final authority. These lines also contribute to the definition:

"Charge pumps use some form of switching device(s) to control the connection of voltages to the capacitor."

"Another way to explain the operation of a charge pump is to consider it as the combination of a DC to AC converter (the switches) followed by a voltage multiplier."

I suppose these cannot necessarily be taken as a final authority either. I was looking for a definition because I see 'charge pump' used sometimes in a general sense, or a less definite sense. So I cannot be sure whether there is a specific and distinct domain for that term (if there ever was).

If I say 'charge pump' in a discussion, I want to avoid confusion. Speaking for myself, I want to look as though I know what I'm talking about. (Because the opposite happens more often than I care to admit.)

Please consider, that the original question was not about a suitable name for the circuit rather about decision criteria for different circuits. But these circuits aren't different (whatever you call them).

In their principle of operation, perhaps not. The Villard cell is the building block for almost all voltage multipliers. Identical stages can be added. Mirror image formations can be put on each side of a center tap. Etc. And they only provide a DC voltage. More like a power supply.

Maybe the differences are important for those who wish to split hairs. Voltage multipliers are not used so much in mainstream electronics.

Yet when we need one there are reasons to choose a particular configuration. Here's a link to a condensed list, with pros and cons for each type:

Voltage Multipliers, Inc. - Multiplier Design Steps

---------- Post added at 13:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:22 ----------

Thanks BradtheRad. I got the point.
But the only bothering point to me is the cascading structure of Voltage multiplier. Why such casacading structure is chosen? I am talking about the voltage multiplier structure chosen in the url.
Some articles say that cascading structure is Chargepump and some articles in Internet mention the same cascading structure as ChargePump.
I am confused. Now, pls clarify me.
If I do google about Voltage multipliers, structure for doubling/tripling output voltage is shown in one manner.
But the schematic shown in thr url is little different. Pls help me to understand the difference.

I have put a video on Youtube which simulates this circuit. It shows the concept behind the configuration in the RFID. (Even though the voltage levels are different, and component ratings are different.)

My animation shows current bundles going through wires. It shows charge growing and shrinking on the capacitors.

Half-wave parallel voltage quadrupler (Animated) - YouTube

It works the same way as the crystal radio which draws on the power in the transmitted waves to let you hear the broadcast.

By using a voltage multiplier it becomes a way to transmit electric power without wires. This particular voltage multiplier configuration has several connections to the supply rails. Each cycle only has to go through one diode drop. It's efficient in that sense.

And even though the power isn't much, if it works then that's still something to say 'Wow' at.

It's surprising that a little antenna provides enough power to do this. If it supplies 1 VAC input, the quadrupler can output over 3 VDC. The researchers had to use a quadrupler because a doubler does not provide enough voltage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.