Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

charge pump applications with explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosaeidi

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what do you mean by charge pump.

Hi

What is a charge pump? Could any body tell me its application?

site:www.edaboard.com

my idea,
just like switch regulator, usually use it to change one dc level to other dc level(it can be +/-) usually double the vdd..
this is my idea, if it wrong please check me..
thanks

charge pump

which charge pump do you mean a voltage charge pump to pump up the voltage or the one used in PLL's/

amarnath

charge pump

To make it simple, (from Wikipedia):

Charge pumps use switches to control the connection of voltages to capacitors and then they can get higher or lower voltage levels. For instance, to generate a higher voltage, the first stage involves the capacitor being connected across a voltage and charged up. In the second stage, the capacitor is disconnected from the original charging voltage and reconnected with its negative terminal to the original positive charging voltage. Because the capacitor retains the voltage across it (ignoring leakage effects) the positive terminal voltage is added to the original, effectively doubling the voltage. The pulsing nature of the higher voltage output is typically smoothed by the use of an output capacitor.
A common application for charge pump circuits is in RS-232 level shifters where they are used to derive positive and negative voltages (often +10 V and -10 V) from a single 5 V or 3 V power supply rail.
Charge pumps can also be used as LCD or white LED drivers, generating high bias voltages from a single low-voltage supply, such as a battery. THIS LAST APPLICATION IS ONE OF THE MOST USED RIGHT NOW WITHIN ALL WHITE LEDS IN LCD MONITORS AND TVS

Re: charge pump

You need to read more books before you asking questions!
rosaeidi said:
Hi

There are many kinds of charge pumps.

Charge pumps are majorly used in vision industry such as CCD cameras.

Charge pump is some current source controlled by some signals.
Which is used in DC-DC converter and PLL etc.

It is a circuit that can produce multiple voltages from input voltage

charge pump

The internal chip charge pumps are used to generate 5V/3V from 1.8V supply and give it to swithes (to increase the Vgs and reduce its on resistances). negative chrage pumps can also be used for design of rail to rail buffer using the nmos input pair. Hope this helps.

rosaeidi said:
Hi

DCDC, PLL application

Status
Not open for further replies.