Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charge filter for piezoelectric sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spadecrank

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
charge amplifier project

Hi all,

I am trying to design a three pole low pass RLC Butterworth filter for a piezoelectric transducer, the piezoelectric transducer's output is charge instead of voltage. The piezoelectric transducer can be modeled as a voltage source in series with a capacitor. When I put a typical three pole low pass RLC Butterworth filter topology together with this model, it would not give me expected low pass result. Anybody has idea about it ? Thank you

Could you post the circuit schematic that are you simulating?

Regards
Powermos

spadecrank

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I simulated a 7 pole low pass butterworth, its similar to 3 or 5 pole topology[/url]

The filter is supposed to bridge the sensor and the charge amplifier, which is the requirement of my project. Thanks for the advice anyway.

spadecrank said:
The filter is supposed to bridge the sensor and the charge amplifier, which is the requirement of my project.
Why such requirement? How (word-for-word) is it formulated?

spadecrank said:
Thanks for the advice anyway.
You're welcome.

spadecrank

There is a basic fault in problem formulation to my opinion. If you describe the sensor as a charge generator, then the equivalent circuit is a current source with a parallel capacitor. In this case, you can make the sensor capacitance part of a passive low pass filter in a shunt element first topology.

When you assume a voltage source with a series capacitance and conncet a passive filter with a real impedance, then you create an additional high pass and won't never achieve the intended characteristics.

spadecrank

Thanks FvM, your suggestion makes a lot of sense. But how am I going to get a current output from the filter since the next stage of the filter is a charge amplifier ?

The charge amplifier input is low impedance, so the filter output can be connected through it's nominal load impedance (usually a resistor connected to ground) to the charge amplifier. Connecting a load is necessary to achieve the nominal frequency characteristic.

spadecrank

FvM said:
The charge amplifier input is low impedance, so the filter output can be connected through it's nominal load impedance (usually a resistor connected to ground) to the charge amplifier. Connecting a load is necessary to achieve the nominal frequency characteristic.

Is the input of a charge amplifier supposed to be high impedance ?
please check the online reference http://people.na.infn.it/~barbarin/Biblioteca%20rivelatori%20ed%20elettronica%20(per%20studenti)/rivelatori/hamamatsu/Characteristics_and_use_of_Charge_Amplifiers.pdf

Now my confusion is that the filter accepts charge signal and output a voltage signal, so it can not be directly connected to a charge amplifer which accepts charge signals?

Is the input of a charge amplifier supposed to be high impedance ?

I suppose, your question arises because the wording of the referenced article is somewhat misleading.
The amplifier itself (without capacitice feedback) is an high impedance device;
The amplifier with feedback (and because of high open loop gain) has a low impedance input at the inverting input.

spadecrank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back