Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

charge 12v 60AH battery with a 12v 5A charger/adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rizwanspirit

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I have a circuit with 3A current consumption, I am powering it with 12 Volt 60 Ah Sealed Maintenance Free calcium+ Battery. Now i want to charge the battery while the system is in operation.
For this purpose I have a 12v 5A adapter, Please suggest me a mechanism to connect these three things together (i.e circuit, battery and adapter).
I have two solutions, please verify them.

1. simply connect positive of charger to positive of battery and vice versa, and connect this with the circuit. (Obviusly not a good solution)
  2. Connect a battery cut-off circuit in between the adapter and battery. (Looks good but please guide me about this solution in detail)

By the way i already have a battery cutoff circuit. I also have a 10A battery charger .

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

If your circuit has regulator i dont think their will be any problem if you connect the charger because your circuit can only drawn it own maximum current from the source...

Battery charging current is 6A. Circuit draws 3A. Charger has to supply both loads. Charger should be able to supply 9A at 14.5V continuiosly. When battery is charged,it goes into trickle charge stage (by loweing its voltage to 13.6V and voltage stay there). The cut-off circuit is not good in this situation. Current to the battery is monitored and this control charger to adjust charging to maximum 6A. The current to circuit is not supplied from battery terminal but before the point in the chrging lead, where sensor is attached. In this way it does not affect chraging current with load change and charger adjust itself so that it supply current to circuit as required.

Battery charging current is 6A. Circuit draws 3A. Charger has to supply both loads. Charger should be able to supply 9A at 14.5V continuiosly.
How do we know battery charging current is 6A?

Charging is best at 1/10 of battery capacity. C/10 = 60/10 = 6A
Trickle charging kit is available in market. It uses triac to control current. Set current after connecting DC ampere meter with battery.

I constructed this charger control circuit for my battery bank and PV panels.

(1) It delivers bulk charge to the battery
(2) It shuts off when the battery rises to 14.4 V.
(3) The battery voltage drops over a period of several minutes.
(4) When it reaches 13.4 V the charger is reconnected.

This method turns the transistor full on or full off. It is simple although it is not as preferred as the method of tapering the charge current as the battery reaches 14.4V.

- - - Updated - - -

Status
Not open for further replies.