Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

changing Batteries to plug in power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

koadog

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Batteries to plug in

Hi,

I have a exercise bike that runs on 4 "D" batteries. Does anybody know if it is possible to change it to a/c outlet power?

I am going through batteries like crazy.

Thanks
Liz

Batteries to plug in

Use any SMPS power supply Rated 6 volts 2 amps. Be sure about the polarity before connecting...Cheers

Re: Batteries to plug in

If I go to Radio Shack, do you think they will be able to give me what I need?

Thank you for your input.

:D

Thank you, will let you you know how it goes.

Liz

hello. ive got the same problem with a exercise bike eating batteries. im a complete noob with this sort of thing. what is a SMPS power supply, and how would you connect it to the bike? does it get soldered to the board or connected to the battery terminals? any help would be appreciated, thanks.

edit.

found the power lead i need (i think, a old sony PSP lead) is that OK?. how would you check the polarity of the wires? thanks.

SMPS stands for Switching-mode power supply

The main advantage of SMPS over ordinary PS is that it has greater efficiency because the switching transistor dissipates little power when it is outside of its active region (i.e., when the transistor acts like a switch and either has a negligible voltage drop across it or a negligible current through it). Other advantages include smaller size and lighter weight (from the elimination of low frequency transformers which have a high weight) and lower heat generation due to higher efficiency

Hey, thanks to you all for your input. I went to Radio Shack today and got what I needed and it works great. I just plugged the addapter into the console and off I went.

If you are look to do the same thing, make sure you know what size plug goes into the bike console. Take one with you, if you have to, so you don't have to go back. I was lucky, I told the sales person that my plug from my portable CD player fit and he knew what size it was. Best $35.00 bucks I spent.

Liz

Batteries to plug in

Cheers...Happy biking...

koadog said:

Hey, thanks to you all for your input. I went to Radio Shack today and got what I needed and it works great. I just plugged the addapter into the console and off I went.

If you are look to do the same thing, make sure you know what size plug goes into the bike console. Take one with you, if you have to, so you don't have to go back. I was lucky, I told the sales person that my plug from my portable CD player fit and he knew what size it was. Best $35.00 bucks I spent.

Liz

my bike doesnt have a socket to plug a lead into. if i cut the jack plug off the end of the lead, could i attach them to the terminals off the batteries case where the batteries go to power it that way? or solder it into the board someway? thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back