Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CGH40010F transistor provided by cree company

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you still conjecturing instead of testing to a
scientific conclusion?

Even with using new transistor and following the mentioned sequence by applying negative voltage at the gate side (-5 V), then once connect the drain side is shorted. Can decoupling capacitor made this short?
Yes, ceramic capacitors may become easily short circuited.

Reactions: Mabrok

Mabrok

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Yes, ceramic capacitors may become easily short circuited.
I have bought a new transistor and followed the mentioned biasing sequence. This time ok no short at the drain side. However, when I measured IDS, i got it 0.1 mA suppose to be 13 mA according to the biasing point. Therefore, if there is no current at the drain side means I can get the expected results like S21. So, what is the thing that make the current not to flow to the drain side? How about bypass capacitor for being not selected properly? could cause this problem?

The gate voltage required for your desired bias point may not be exactly the same as that printed on the datasheet. As an example, if you apply say, exactly -2.4 V to the gate, hoping to get an IDS of 100 mA and you see an IDS of 50 mA or 200 mA, it's because the bias point is slightly different for every device and it's not a major problem either... just one of those things. :)

Although the process for fabricating a run of GaN wafers is very well-controlled, some batches of devices or even devices within a batch will behave differently to one another. This is called "process variation" and it's a lot more difficult to design with when you don't have the ability to control the bias voltage off-chip, as you do. The drain current also changes over temperature too, even when the gate voltage doesn't change.

It shouldn't be a problem if you need to use -2.7 V or -2.3 V to get the right bias point. Just remember to apply -10 V (or something in that region) to the gate before you apply the drain voltage, then ramp up the gate voltage slowly until the drain current is the value you want. I once blew up a prototype device because I flicked the wrong switch on a dual power supply by mistake. It was a very expensive mistake! 😭

The gate voltage required for your desired bias point may not be exactly the same as that printed on the datasheet. As an example, if you apply say, exactly -2.4 V to the gate, hoping to get an IDS of 100 mA and you see an IDS of 50 mA or 200 mA, it's because the bias point is slightly different for every device and it's not a major problem either... just one of those things. :)

Although the process for fabricating a run of GaN wafers is very well-controlled, some batches of devices or even devices within a batch will behave differently to one another. This is called "process variation" and it's a lot more difficult to design with when you don't have the ability to control the bias voltage off-chip, as you do. The drain current also changes over temperature too, even when the gate voltage doesn't change.

It shouldn't be a problem if you need to use -2.7 V or -2.3 V to get the right bias point. Just remember to apply -10 V (or something in that region) to the gate before you apply the drain voltage, then ramp up the gate voltage slowly until the drain current is the value you want. I once blew up a prototype device because I flicked the wrong switch on a dual power supply by mistake. It was a very expensive mistake! 😭
Yes I have followed biasing sequence by apply pinch off gate voltage -5V first then drain voltage 28 V. Then i rump up the gate voltage to -3.2 V according to biasing point in simulatation. At this point, suppose to get 13 mA drain current. However, the current was very small 0.1 mA. If i rump up the gate voltage more towrds -3 V. I can see the drain voltage going up from 28 V to 40 V. The changing of drain voltage what does it mean? As firstly i have fixed it to 28 V.

Yes I have followed biasing sequence by apply pinch off gate voltage -5V first then drain voltage 28 V. Then i rump up the gate voltage to -3.2 V according to biasing point in simulatation. At this point, suppose to get 13 mA drain current. However, the current was very small 0.1 mA. If i rump up the gate voltage more towrds -3 V. I can see the drain voltage going up from 28 V to 40 V. The changing of drain voltage what does it mean? As firstly i have fixed it to 28 V.
So your amplifier is oscillating and it disturbs the power supply.While you're sliding Vgs, Ids should increase accordingly.There shouldn't be any step-up or sharp changing.

It is easy for high frequency discrete transistors
to "self-oscillate" with all of the distributed L's
and C's of prototype boards or bench test boxes.
Even for crusty old sub-GHz bipolars I have to
put ferrite beads on every lead in order to get
good DC curve pulls.

A DMM has a good chance of dealing badly
with "AC riding on DC". An oscilloscope might
be a better tool if (a) you have one and (b) the
oscillation is within its probe and channel
bandwidths. Your meter could be reporting
crest voltages instead of average (comes down
to cases, I imagine). An inductive-ish supply
feed and high-ESL bypass caps could make
it easy for the drain network to become a
"tank" and long wires can couple drain to gate,
making you a power oscillator.

So your amplifier is oscillating and it disturbs the power supply.While you're sliding Vgs, Ids should increase accordingly.There shouldn't be any step-up or sharp changing.
I have simulated stability using k delta test and was uncondition stable k>1 & delta <1. Any other way to verify stability?

Simulation is a poor mans soldering iron and good oscilloscope - get in there and see what is happening - conjecture is usually unhelpful

also do much more reading on the topic ....
--- Updated ---

also unless your power supplies are designed to power RF ckts - they will be susceptible to RF generated - and not be stable - this often leads to blown up devices - which may have happened earlier ....

Can the decoupling or bypass capacitor cause this instability in the power supply?

The decoupling should be ok if you try and use similar capacitor values and types to those in the datasheet circuit.

https://www.wolfspeed.com/downloads/dl/file/id/317/product/117/cgh40010.pdf

In the above datasheet, notice how the gate and drain feeds have 5 or 6 caps in parallel, stepping up in value, tracing back to the connectors? The caps nearest to the device and the 1/4 wave transmission lines should provide effective decoupling in-band... but GaN transistors have a lot of gain at low frequency so the larger caps are very important too.

If I'm simulating a discrete PA, I try to make my own RLC models of the smaller-value caps and simulate the small lengths of transmission line separating them to replicate the track on the PCB. Even a millimetre or two of track between the caps can have 0.1-0.2 nH of inductance, which changes the performance of the decoupling (for better or worse!). Sometimes I add a low-value resistor of 5-10 Ohms in-series with the second-nearest decoupling caps to the device as this lowers their Q-factor and supresses low-frequency spurs over a broader bandwidth.

Since you've already built your design, the above may not be very helpful but for your next PA design, before you add decoupling caps, place a very large ideal series inductor (~1 H) in each of the gate and drain feeds of your schematic. This will show all the spurs and oscillations that your decoupling components need to suppress and you will gradually see it get better as you add your capacitors. I'd recommend that you solder on some caps, according to the datasheet circuit if you haven't already, as this may solve your problem.

Finally, did you put enough solder between the transistor source pad and the PCB? Sometimes bad things happen if there isn't a good connection to ground because the heat isn't effectively taken away from the device and you see oscillations from "thermal runaway". If you gently push down on the transistor with a screwdriver handle (or your choice of non-conductive object), does the PA start to act "normal" again?

Mabrok

The decoupling should be ok if you try and use similar capacitor values and types to those in the datasheet circuit.

https://www.wolfspeed.com/downloads/dl/file/id/317/product/117/cgh40010.pdf

In the above datasheet, notice how the gate and drain feeds have 5 or 6 caps in parallel, stepping up in value, tracing back to the connectors? The caps nearest to the device and the 1/4 wave transmission lines should provide effective decoupling in-band... but GaN transistors have a lot of gain at low frequency so the larger caps are very important too.

If I'm simulating a discrete PA, I try to make my own RLC models of the smaller-value caps and simulate the small lengths of transmission line separating them to replicate the track on the PCB. Even a millimetre or two of track between the caps can have 0.1-0.2 nH of inductance, which changes the performance of the decoupling (for better or worse!). Sometimes I add a low-value resistor of 5-10 Ohms in-series with the second-nearest decoupling caps to the device as this lowers their Q-factor and supresses low-frequency spurs over a broader bandwidth.

Since you've already built your design, the above may not be very helpful but for your next PA design, before you add decoupling caps, place a very large ideal series inductor (~1 H) in each of the gate and drain feeds of your schematic. This will show all the spurs and oscillations that your decoupling components need to suppress and you will gradually see it get better as you add your capacitors. I'd recommend that you solder on some caps, according to the datasheet circuit if you haven't already, as this may solve your problem.

Finally, did you put enough solder between the transistor source pad and the PCB? Sometimes bad things happen if there isn't a good connection to ground because the heat isn't effectively taken away from the device and you see oscillations from "thermal runaway". If you gently push down on the transistor with a screwdriver handle (or your choice of non-conductive object), does the PA start to act "normal" again?
Regarding the decoupling caps, I have only used one cap of 10 pF for each side (drain and gate).

For the source connection to ground, this type of transistors have to be monted directly on the heatsink for grounding connection. And i already did this and tested source ground connection using multimeter.

Ok... definitely definitely try and solder more caps onto the gate and drain lines. It's probably best to use the recommended datasheet capacitors because it will save you time looking for the correct voltage ratings.

If you haven't already, have another look at the small-signal S-parameters from 1 Hz to 10 GHz (or the widest range you can... not just in-band) and check for spurs, spikes or any nasty-looking activity. If you see anything that doesn't look right, it will only get worse at high-power.

Please... put those extra caps on - I think that will solve your problem!

Mabrok

Ok... definitely definitely try and solder more caps onto the gate and drain lines. It's probably best to use the recommended datasheet capacitors because it will save you time looking for the correct voltage ratings.

If you haven't already, have another look at the small-signal S-parameters from 1 Hz to 10 GHz (or the widest range you can... not just in-band) and check for spurs, spikes or any nasty-looking activity. If you see anything that doesn't look right, it will only get worse at high-power.

"It's probably best to use the recommended datasheet capacitors" Use same caps Even if my design biasing point is slight different from datasheet PA design biasing point. For them, VDS= 28 V, VGS = -2.7 V

Mine 28 V with -3.2 V

Datasheet capacitor recommendations may not be
about bulk capacitance or other "top line" values
but more about the ESR, ESL that make them effective
@ frequency.

Can the decoupling or bypass capacitor cause this instability in the power supply?
Of course ! If a high ESR capacitor is used, \[ V_{cc} \] supply line will act as high impedance rather than short circuit for AC and this will return to oscillating.

Mabrok

Even with using new transistor and following the mentioned sequence by applying negative voltage at the gate side (-5 V), then once connect the drain side is shorted. Can decoupling capacitor made this short?
Sure.. Decoupling capacitors especially ceramic types can easily be short circuited. Electrolytic caps. may also cause..
--- Updated ---

I have checked you PCB now.. wow !
You supply GND connection for the decoupling capacitor through black screw then heat-sink ??
You make a very serious mistake buddy.. very serious. Haven't you ever seen a Power Amplifier Design before ??
Please search internet and find properly designed PA circuits and how their PCB's have been designed.
Your decoupling cap cannot see GND therefore your amplifier is perhaps oscillating..

Last edited:

As already said, if you measure by means of an ohmmeter the drain-source junction you read a short, since the transistor is depletion type, but the device is OK.

How did you measure the short ? If you switch the -5V first, then the drain voltage what about the current consumption ? If the MOS is OK then you should have a negligible amount of current flowing from the power supply. The current will increas when the threshold voltage has exceeded. The datasheet indicates a threshod between -3.8V and -2.3V (typically -3V).

Last edited:

Sure.. Decoupling capacitors especially ceramic types can easily be short circuited. Electrolytic caps. may also cause..
--- Updated ---

You supply GND connection for the decoupling capacitor through black screw then heat-sink ??
You make a very serious mistake buddy.. very serious. Haven't you ever seen a Power Amplifier Design before ??
Please search internet and find properly designed PA circuits and how their PCB's have been designed.
Your decoupling cap cannot see GND therefore your amplifier is perhaps oscillating..

Thank you for your suggestions, by adding more caps i could stabilize the dc power supply. And i can see current at drain side. My question now. But still the response s-parameter is not what i was expecting. It looks like there was shifting to low freq below 2 GHz. Target band 3.4-3.6 GHz. So, Is s2p file of those caps can show me the effect of caps in the simulation? As some of caps i could not get their RLC model circuit?
--- Updated ---

--- Updated ---

Black screw for ground connection. The patch under screw is ground.

Last edited:

Does this variation affect the results (S-parameters)? As in the simulation, i applied -3.2 V to get 13 mA IDS which is the required bias point, but during the measurements, I could not get this amount of current with the same gate voltage applied. I only could get IDS of 13 mA with VGS = -2.9 v which is different from that in the simulation VGS = -3.2 V. As a result, the s-parameter response (S11 & S22) was shifted from 3.5 GHz to 1.5 GHz when comparing simulation with measurements.

Status
Not open for further replies.