Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Career Path Confusion: How to Enter Medical Electronics Field? With IC Background

Status
Not open for further replies.

Globalfish

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Engineers,

Here is a story about a young engineering grad. I find it hard to make decision.

I hold a Bachelor degree in Biomedical Engineering, and a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering. I find my personal interest in medical electronics (medical instruments), that’s the reason I start my M.Sc. During my master study, I took courses in digital design area: VLSI design, Verilog hardware design, and gained experience in FPGA design (participated in FPGA contest and won a prize in North American Region).

Except the above technical skills, I also have experience in small embedded system design, i.e. 8-bit MCU, embedded C programming and some knowledge in large embedded system (I bought an ARM11 dev board, and teach myself).

Two years passed, when graduating from university, I find that many friends from my lab find jobs in ASIC design field, from front-end digital design, verification to back-end physical design. Perhaps that’s the typical career opportunity for micro-electronics grads.

I guess I could find a job like my friends in ASIC field or FPGA field. But my dream career is to enter medical electronics industry, designing medical instruments. What I could do is far away what I want to do. It makes me so confused.

With such a background, how to enter medical electronics field?

If anyone has any advice or suggestion shared with me, I would really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.