Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

capacitor value after rectifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

innovation1

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
capacitor

hi.......... can u tell me how to decide capacitor val that is to be connected after rectifier stage.........

Re: capacitor

The load current causes ripple. A higher value capacitor smooths the ripple which reduces its p-p level.
I use a graph like this one:

Re: capacitor

thanx for reply...... but i connected a 1000uF capacitor across a rectifier (with 18V 50 Hz i/p) it gave o/p (across capacitor) of 22-20V. is it bcoz of charging of the capacitor........???????

The AC voltage is 18V RMS which has a peak voltage of 25.5V. Then the rectifier reduces it to 23.5V. The ripple from the capacitor with a small size reduces the voltage more.

innovation1

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
thanx for reply .. bt the graph u hav posted is for fr=120hz.....
my i/p is 50hz i.e. fr=100hz????
so i just want to know the generalised relation to find value of C

The formula is on my graph but it is wrong.
Since 50Hz is 0.833 times 60Hz then the amount of ripple is 1.2 times more than my graph.

Status
Not open for further replies.