Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

capacitor charging timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhlblue

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i want to realize a timer using capacitor charging method, not by a osillator. that is, i use a current I1 to charge a capacitor C1, according the relationship: I1*t=C1*V1, then the time t is proportional to V1; however, for a long time timing, for ex, 10ms, then, I1 will be very small, or C1 will be very large(cannot be integrated in the chip); for I1=100nA, t=10ms, V1=1, C1=1nF, 1nf is too large to integrate in the chip inside. then, is there any way to solve this problem?
i know a method called capacitor boosting, but if i boost a capacitor by 1000 times (1pF --> 1nF), then amplifier gain will be 1000, for such a big gain, the power consumption will be large, and the resisitor area will be large too(10K vs 10M), and any other methods?
thanks all.

i know from filter design there is a problem of ingrating coils capacitors and big resistors so :
there is something called switched capacitors , that is using transistors to make integrated capacitors

and thers is transconductance or something , that uses transistors inverse gain to generate virtual resistors ..
check these out

Use an RC series circuit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RC_circuit

1. Pick a rather large R as that will reduce the circuits energy consumption. It could probably be as high 0.5-1.0 Mohm, if you can find a suffiently small capacitor to match it.

2. If you apply a voltage U it will take approx 5*R*C seconds until the voltage across the capacitor is U, provided the voltage across C is 0 at start. That means 5*R*C is your desired delay T.

3. Solve for C. C = T/(5*R).

4. In case you cand find a suffiently small C, pick a smaller R and try again.

5. You will have to reset the delay somehow. Use a digital I/O and a series resistance if youre using a microcontroller.

Note that parasitic board capacitance will generate a larger error when C is smaller.

... I1 will be very small, or C1 will be very large(cannot be integrated in the chip); for I1=100nA, t=10ms, V1=1, C1=1nF, 1nf is too large to integrate in the chip inside. then, is there any way to solve this problem?

You could scale down the current to 1nA; even 100pA working currents are used nowadays.

On the other side: why not use an external cap? It's so cheap and costs just one more pin. If you want to hide it, consider a hybrid solution in the same package.

BTW: there are silicon caps available with much higher cap values, made with special 2D or 3D processes: ipdia.com.

Like yours, Electro nS . Probably abbreviates nanoSiemens, isn't it? Or nanoSievert? ;-)

hehe i was being sarcastic , what are the odds that a person answer the post after you with a similar name :p (liked the "xx" , sexy electronics ?? probably ) :)
, i really wanted to name Electron (the small particles in atoms that move) and Nanosecond (high speed) so i combined both !!

i really wanted to name Electron (the small particles in atoms that move) and Nanosecond (high speed) so i combined both !!

Right so, fast electron! But shouldn't you have used a lower case "s" then? ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back