Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

capacitor allow dc or ac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhuvanesh123

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have read some pages .there i seen that some say that capacitor allow dc and block ac and some say blocks dc and allow ac.which one is right which is really series problem to me.pull me out of this.thank you in advance

i have read some pages .there i seen that some say that capacitor allow dc and block ac and some say blocks dc and allow ac.which one is right which is really series problem to me.pull me out of this.thank you in advance

a fully charged capacitor does not allow dc..while ac gives continuous charging and discharging so no current flow through capacitor

NI.pngthe capacitor allow AC only to go through it
but in the transient of dc you can consider it as AC until the capacitor is fully charged
if you need more information about charge time and what is the factors effect it ,i'll more than happy to help you

Last edited:

Buddy simply remember that capacitor allows time varying voltage, meaning if we are analysing DC trasient (a voltage that is either growing or decaying with time) or any AC form it shall pass through the cap.

the current inside the capacitor = i = C x dv/dt that means there will be current as long as there is a vaying voltage across its terminals and dv/dt = 0 in case of dc voltage, i.e the capacitor will block dc and allow ac to pass.

When cap is used in series, DC is blocked and AC is coupled.
when used in shunt, AC is blocked or shunted to ground, While DC is filtered but passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.