Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitive discharge battery tab spot welder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully Kubillas

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am planning to build a capacitive discharge battery tab spot welder according to a schematic the image of which I am sending attached to this message. The question is: as the tyristor used in this project holds 50A, and I needed more than this, is it posible to wire two tyristors in paralell using the same control circuit? I should appreciate very much your help in this project.

Sully

Hi,

Sorry, I was inable to sen the circuit image. I am giving here its URL:

**broken link removed**

This circuit uses a IR50RIA20 tyristor and I would like to know wether I can wire two tyristor in paralell to get more current. I have found out that with more current I can have better welding mainly on Li-Ion battery tab.
Many thanks for your attention to this matter.

Sully

The continuous current rating isn't of much interest in this application, you'll rather look for I²t and dI/dt.
Paralleling multiple SCRs is possible, but the gate current must be high enough to achieve low trigger delay and delay skew. Gate series resistors for equal current sharing are suggested.

Q1 when on has Ib = 4.4mA, min Hfe = 80?, therefore Ic > 350 mA, but the continous Ic rating is 100 mA, and the pulsed is 350 mA. So I reckon holding the foot switch down is continous so I think the Q1 will cook, it needs an Ic limiting resistor somewhere.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back