Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can you add a glue layer using Orcad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gragala

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have read in the forum some information about glue layer, but I have a simple doubt.
If I need to add a glue layer for components on the botton surface, is possible to do it using Orcad?
I know that Allegro provides Filmask top and bottom layer that can be use for information like gold, glue...But can you find a similar layer in Orcad?

And the last question... In what part of the component the glue has to be applied? what are the specifications for the glue layer? does it depend on the manufacturer?

Thanks in advanced!

Regards,

Glue layer

hi,
glue layer is generally used for SMD components and is provided for each pad of the component.
you can provide glue layer pad size less 5-4 mils the actual pad size for very small packages you can provide it equal to the pad size.

Regards,
Ricky

Re: Glue layer

Anonymous_Ricky -

I think you got confused while answering this question. What you are describing is the paste layer for solder paste, not the glue layer.

The glue layer defines glue dots which are placed at the center of component bodies away from the soldering pads. Their purpose is to hold the component in place during soldering.

You normally define the glue dot location in the component footprint, using a mechancial layer. The mechanical layer Gerber is then identified as the glue mask layer for the fab and assembly house. Although there are some assembly houses that can use the pick and place centroid information for glue dot application - they don't want or need a special mask layer.

You can read a bit more about glue dots at : **broken link removed**

Glue layer

Thanks House_cat,

yes I admit that I got his question wrong.

thanks for you help
Ricky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back