Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can we estimate power consumption with CAD tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

rz56

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
estimate power

Hello all,
I'm beginer & want to know if it is possible to estimate power consumption of a system that is modeled with VHDL by CAD tools.

would you please help me?

Thx.

report_power sequence

Surely. For example, Synopsys Power Compiler.

power usage tools

Hi Rz ,
You can estimate power consumption of ur design at any level

#. At Algorithmic level (where ur design might be specified in C/C++ or SystemC) you can use :- - - ORINOCO Power Tool from ChipVision Design systems

#. At RTL level (Where ur design is in HDLs) you can use : Synopsys Power Compiler , Sequence's Power Theater , Magma Blast Power

#At Netlist Level (Where ur design is in form of gate level Netlist ) you can use : Synopsys Power Compiler , Sequence Power theater

#At Transistor level you can use : Synopsys Nanosim

Regards
Amit

power tools concumption

Use PowerTheater from sequence Designs

how estimate design consumption

Sure. Lot of tools are there. what is ur house ?
Sumit

You can use PowerCompiler to optimise a design for Power.

PrimePower is the tool you need for good estimation of your power consumption.

You can either get a more abstract, more inaccurate reading statically by providing toggle rates on pins, or you can go all the way to generate saif files, perform simulations and measure exact power for a given simulation time.

My experience is that tools can predict power with +/- 10% accuracy of the real power we observe on the real device.

Thinkie said:
You can use PowerCompiler to optimise a design for Power.

PrimePower is the tool you need for good estimation of your power consumption.

You can either get a more abstract, more inaccurate reading statically by providing toggle rates on pins, or you can go all the way to generate saif files, perform simulations and measure exact power for a given simulation time.

My experience is that tools can predict power with +/- 10% accuracy of the real power we observe on the real device.

have a good practical working tutorial for power optimization?

tnx

The EDA tools will report the power estimation based on the switching activity factor. I'm not sure how accurate it is..

I could able to get the power estimation in SOC-Encounter by using "report_power" command.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back