[SOLVED] Can someone translate this simple assembly to C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyassasin16

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm a complete beginner in mikroC, I'm programming a PIC16, please translate this part of asm to C.

START: BTFSS PORTB, 0
GOTO START
GOTO LOOP
LOOP: NOP
BSF PORTC, 1
CALL DELAY_MS
BCF PORTC, 1
GOTO LOOP

thanks, dunno If I am posting in a wrong forum, so I apologize, im a newbie

The command btfss tests a bit, and skips the next instruction if that bit is equal to 1.

you are checking the status of portB, and if zero proceed or execute go to start
Loop:NOP gives 1 machine cycle delay

BSF—Bit Scan Forward
Searches the source operand (second operand) for the least significant set bit (1 bit). If a least significant 1 bit is found, its bit index is stored in the destination operand (first operand). The source operand can be a register or a memory location; the destination operand is a register. The bit index is an unsigned offset from bit 0 of the source operand. If the contents source operand are 0, the contents of the destination operand is undefined.

I am sorry mister, but I need the syntax to C, not the description of each. thanks anyways.

There are some things which i have assumed during the conversion, see the comments

START: BTFSS PORTB, 0
GOTO START
GOTO LOOP
LOOP: NOP
BSF PORTC, 1
CALL DELAY_MS ; in this code DELAY_MS subroutine is not defined, i assume that u have defined it...
BCF PORTC, 1
GOTO LOOP

Here is a possible C code, To run this code u must use CCS Info (PIC C) compiler.

// code starts here
while(PIN_B0);
// loop starts here
while(TRUE) {
output_high(PIN_C1);
delay_ms(1000); // 1 sec delay which i assumed earlier
output_low(PIN_C1);
}
// code ends here

personally this is the right forum, but i advise u to join a group (PIC Microcontrollers), u can get many help there...

Regardz
Ayaz Ahmed

Hi;

Ayaz's translation is nice but has a little mismatch (at begin):

Modify the first C line
// code starts here
while(PIN_B0); //infinite loop while PIN_B0==1
to
while(PIN_B0==0); //infinite loop while PIN_B0==0

because the original assemby loop was:
START:
BTFSS PORTB, 0 ;means: Bit Test portb,0 and Skip the next instruction if it is Set (equal to 1)
GOTO START

Thanks for the quick response, I get the logic. One more question, does the syntax in CCS Info (PIC C) compiler is the same as in mikroC?

The command btfss tests a bit, and skips the next instruction if that bit is equal to 1.
BSF - Bit Scan Forward

Hi ckshivaram;

Sorry but your explanation above is about the X86's BSF instruction.

The PIC's BSF is a simple Bit Set of a register File (in RAM) ...

I'm a complete beginner in mikroC, I'm programming a PIC16, please translate this part of asm to C.

HI skyassasin16
This is mikroC pro code. 16f877a

void main(){
TRISB0_bit=1; //PORTB0 set to input
TRISC1_bit=0; //PORTC1 set to output
PORTB=0;
PORTC=0;
while(PORTB==0);
while(1){
PORTC.F1=1; //PORTC1 set to high
Delay_ms(200);
PORTC.F1=0; //PORTC1 set to low
Delay_ms(200);

}
}

Last edited:
So much thanks guys! Now I can finally mark this as solved!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…