Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can i use analog servo motor with microcontroller ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bianchi77

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Friends,
Can i use analog servo motor with microcontroller ?
Like this one :
**broken link removed**

Thanks

Dear bianchi
Hi
Why not ? but after your microcontroller you'll need a current driver . ( e.g a mosfet or IGBT or BJT ) . but before that, do you need to change the rotation , vector ?
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Dear bianchi
Hi
Why not ? but after your microcontroller you'll need a current driver . ( e.g a mosfet or IGBT or BJT ) . but before that, do you need to change the rotation , vector ?
Best Wishes
Goldsmith
Can I use ULN2003 as a driver ?

you can use each driver tat can support this voltage and current .
Wish you the best
Goldsmith

Hi again
My mean was changing the polarity of rotation ( sorry if my words weren't clear )
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

I believe there is a little mis-statement in post#2. If you are using the microcontroller to produce the control signal for a servo, you do NOT need a current driver.

Here are some microcontroller-based servo controllers:

**broken link removed**
http://www.msu.edu/~markeyna/PWM.pdf
http://www.merlotti.com/EngHome/Computing/servo_controller.pdf
http://www.diy-electronic-projects.com/p150-Simple-Servo-Tester

If the pulse width is increased, the servo are will usually rotate to the right (CW). If the pulse width is shortened, the arm rotates left (CCW). Some servos can be bought that have been electronically reversed, and for them the control changes would be opposite. However, such reversing is using done at the transmitter today, so "reversed" servos are becoming rarer. There are a few instances in which a transmitter-controlled reversal will not work, and for those cases, one can simply buy a reverser or make the electrical changes inside the servo needed to do it.

John

Can I use this one with 5V microcontroller ? (AT89S52) ?
**broken link removed**

As stated earlier there seems to be some confusion, the servo you are looking at is a standard RC type unit, the difference bewteen digital and analog servos of this type is to do with the internals of the servo not how you would control it. All of these servo are contoled by PPM, (pulse position modulation).

This may help **broken link removed**

everytime system reset, is it possible for servo motor to return to initial position ? or I must send pulse to initial position, but I need a sensor to make it move to the right position, IR led and IR sensor or rotary encoder ?

The poisiton of the servo is controlled by the pulse width, the most common of these is 1.5ms centre position. The servo needs a constant stream of these pulses to hold its position approx every 20ms. When you reset the system you need to start feeding the pulse width, that is you required location for the arm.

Hi again
If you drive your servo with your micro controller , some problems , can occur :
1- out put current of each pin at micro controllers are usually about 40 ma . and if you get current more than this , your pin will burn .
2- your motor , is an inductive load , and each inductive load at off time , can produce , high voltages , and you'll need a fly back diode to improve it ( according to the lenz law ) , so , it can injure your micro , too .
3 ........
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Hi again
If you drive your servo with your micro controller , some problems , can occur :
1- out put current of each pin at micro controllers are usually about 40 ma . and if you get current more than this , your pin will burn .
2- your motor , is an inductive load , and each inductive load at off time , can produce , high voltages , and you'll need a fly back diode to improve it ( according to the lenz law ) , so , it can injure your micro , too .
3 ........
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Thanks a lot friend for the reminder, I'm gonna use a driver ULN2003, what do you think ?
so far I used stepper motor :

---------- Post added at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was at 23:18 ----------

The poisiton of the servo is controlled by the pulse width, the most common of these is 1.5ms centre position. The servo needs a constant stream of these pulses to hold its position approx every 20ms. When you reset the system you need to start feeding the pulse width, that is you required location for the arm.
Yea, I'll use the centering position ( 1.5ms pulse ) as the initialization. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back