Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Can I use a Virtual clock instead of using a create_clock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coshy

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm confusing that whether virtual clock declaration can use instead of real clock's create_clock.
Because I came across the SDC file what there is no definition of create_clock for real clock.

Basically, We use Clock Definition as the below.
###################################
#
# CLOCK DEFINITION
#

# A 333Mhz clock is a 3.0ns period:
#
create_clock -period 3.0 [get_ports clk]

But I found a different declaration of definition clock.
# #
# CLOCK DEFINITION #
# #

#
create_clock -period 3.0 -name my_clk -waveform {0 1.2} [get_ports clk]
As you can see this is a definition of virtual clock it's not similar with definition from above it.

Here is definition of a virtual clock.
What is a virtual clock: By definition, a virtual clock is a clock without any source. Stating more clearly, a virtual clock is a clock that has been defined, but has not been associated with any pin/port. A virtual clock is used as a reference to constrain the interface pins by relating the arrivals at input/output ports with respect to it with the help of input and output delays.

Can I use a Virtual clock instead of using a create_clock? Or Should I have to use a Virtial Clock Only for non clock source system.?

#
create_clock -period 3.0 -name my_clk -waveform {0 1.2} [get_ports clk]
As you can see this is a definition of virtual clock it's not similar with definition from above it.

There's nothing related to virtual clock in your second create_clock example, the only relevant difference is the -waveform specification definining an asymetrical duty cycle. Particularly it has a source, thus can't be virtual. Did you quote the wrong sdc statement?
--- Updated ---

Virtual clocks are e.g. used to constrain the timing of I/O signals, see example from Quartus SDC manual
# create a virtual clock
create_clock -name virtual -period 1
# apply input/output delays with the virtual clock to get
# I/O interface uncertainties
set_input_delay -clock virtual -add_delay 0 [all_inputs]
set_output_delay -clock virtual -add_delay 0 [all_outputs]

Last edited:

There's nothing related to virtual clock in your second create_clock example, the only relevant difference is the -waveform specification definining an asymetrical duty cycle. Particularly it has a source, thus can't be virtual. Did you quote the wrong sdc statement?
--- Updated ---

Virtual clocks are e.g. used to constrain the timing of I/O signals, see example from Quartus SDC manual

Let me check it with your answer. But, the usage of definition virtual clock. As Far I Know, If I declare the clock with "-name" then it should work as virtual clock. So I was asking with it.
I refered with https://electronics.stackexchange.c...gister-to-register-and-input-to-output-in-sta

I'm trying to get a report of timing path from input to output.
AS you can see the my previous post,
I used as the below SDC.

Code:
report_timing -from [all_inputs]               -to [all_registers -data_pins] -max_paths 10 > report_input2r.rpt
report_timing -from [all_registers -data_pins] -to [all_registers -data_pins] -max_paths 10 > report_reg2r.rpt
report_timing -from [all_registers -data_pins] -to [all_outputs]              -max_paths 10 > report_reg2o.rpt
report_timing -from [all_inputs]               -to [all_outputs]              -max_paths 10 > report_intput2out.rpt

then I got some report.
But that report doesn't use a virtual clock definition. so I think that the input Cin1[4:0] and Cin2[4:0] and output Cout[4:0] must be wrong.

So I asked that I need to define the virtual clock for get a right report.
and one thing issue is that why I can't get the register to output report?

And I've got the report report_reg2output but it seems something wrong.
Why can't report with any path? Did I something to do wrong?

Code:
Report : timing
-path full
-delay max
-max_paths 10
Design : MY_DESIGN

Wire Load Model Mode: enclosed
No paths.

If I wrong to get the reports from all 4 paths, Could you guide me how can I get correct reports from it?

Last edited:

As Far I Know, If I declare the clock with "-name" then it should work as virtual clock.

-name has nothing to do with virtual clock specification. Synopsys Timing Constraints and Optimization User Guide clarifies:
You can optionally specify a name for the clock with the -name option. If you do not specify a name explicitly, the clock gets its name from the source object.

As you state correctly in post #1:
By definition, a virtual clock is a clock without any source. Stating more clearly, a virtual clock is a clock that has been defined, but has not been associated with any pin/port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back