Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I use a 1N4148 diode like a 0.5V reference???

Status
Not open for further replies.

crono376

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
using 1n4148 as reference voltage

I need to do a 0.5V reference. I planing to use an 1N4148 in serie with a 10K resistor, and the 0.5V throgh diode buffered by a OPAMP.
I need to known the presicion of this kind of configuration.
Wich is the better way to do that?

Thanks in advance

0.5v reference

The forward drop will vary by about -2mV/°C (T+) and +2mV/°C (T-)

1n4148 voltage regulator

It is not a good idea to use 1N4148 diode as a 0.5V reference ..
Employ any compensated voltage regulator, such as 78L05 or similar, divide its voltage by 10 (using 2 resistors) and, buffer it (if required) using an opamp such as CA3140, LM358 (or similar) to ensure voltage source properties at the output ..
Regards,
IanP

I would not be tempted to use a in 4148 or any other power/signal diode as a voltage reference . Use a dedicated reference component or go the way Ianp described.

A lot will depend on just how good you require your reference voltage to be . Go with the dedicated reference component.

Barry bear

Only if you are able to keep it at the same temperature. But it's easier and cheaper to use dedicated voltage references.

Use precision zener diod with more voltage and resistor divider (tolerance 0.1%).

TL431(2.5 Volt Bandgap voltage reference)+voltage devider!

BEST!

Use an LM385-1.2 from National. It's a 1.2V reference. Divide down the voltage with precision resistors, preferrably a resistor network, so they track over temperature.

using LM4051-adj low temp. coefficient shunt reference....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back