Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can i make my bicycle into an electric generator? and how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gr31v

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello
i would make to make my bike to a source of power.
e.x.When i m at home take my bike inside and while i do pedals electricity is produced and i can watch tv without put it in the socket.
I mean if there is a way to convert the movement of the pentals to usefull power.
So i can charge my phone or store the energy and turn on the lights for some time.
I think its a good idea. Like the bikes in the gym. How can you make that? Anybody knows?
Thanks!

PS. i m a complete amature but i dont want you to tell my everything! That would may be a waste of time for you! Just some steps and i will find the details

Last edited:

Dear Friend!
Hi
Welcome to the EDA board.
If you want to obtain that you should buy a DC motor ( at high voltage and current) then a gearbox and then you should use an inverter , and then you can watch your tv! but you should try hard with your bike , if you want to see a good program on your tv ( high quality) !!!!!!!!:lol:
yes it is possible .( your inverter will provide an AC voltage with your desired frequency at your desired voltage. )(for example in my country , the frequency of city voltage is about 50HZ and the voltage is about 220 volt if i use an AC motor , the frequency will change by my speed ! and it is not good. so you should buy a DC motor , to do it .)
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

you can make.
already many have done that sort of plans..

you can refer the following to get an idea of building one.

Building A Bicycle Generator

Bicycle Pedal Power Generator FAQ Frequently Asked Questions

remember that the sustained power that can be ge generated is 40 to 50watts.

if your physique is well built you can go upto 100W.

note:
your title looks like you want to convert a bicycle to an electric powered one.

but , you are interested in generating power from the cycle.
please change your title appropriately, so that many more members will give you ideas.

A cheap, easy way is to find a suitable motor and a knurled
sleeve for its shaft. Held in friction with the tire it will make
a high ratio "friction gear". Not so good for wet going, and if
it's spun against a stalled tire you'll just chew up a tire. But
there's nothing simpler. You can see gas bicycles using this
scheme too. And it's how the little bicycle headlight generators
work.

A Kollmorgen pancake motor would be nice and compact.

For generation you want different attributes than a traction
motor - high voltage armature rather than one rated near
battery voltage, probably less current since you're limited
in your human output, etc.

You can compromise on the motor, or you might want an
electronic solution (like a DC-DC converter that does
throttle, regen braking and charging with appropriate
step-up, step-down).

Re: can i make my bicycle to a source of power? and how?

hello
thank you all for your answers.
(i tryde to change the title but i thing that didnt work!)
i m now more familiar with the all subject, its very intresting and thanks to you i have found many many tings on internet!
Now it seems more simple, as if i have a plane in my mind of what to do! I dont now when i m actually building it.

But i havent understand yet how all this devices are connected! I know its stupid (made if i could have them in front of my would be obvious) but right now i can imagine it!

Re: can i make my bicycle to a source of power? and how?

hello
thank you all for your answers.
(i tryde to change the title but i thing that didnt work!)
i m now more familiar with the all subject, its very intresting and thanks to you i have found many many tings on internet!
Now it seems more simple, as if i have a plane in my mind of what to do! I dont now when i m actually building it.

But i havent understand yet how all this devices are connected! I know its stupid (made if i could have them in front of my would be obvious) but right now i can imagine it!

Free Plans To Build your own Bicycle Generator Pedal Power Station
HERE IS EVERYTHING AND SO UNDARSTUNDABLE! ITS AMAZING.

how much power can be given from the padel power and how much time it will take to charge battery 24v 150A i think more then a day...

Status
Not open for further replies.