Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I increase the swap size without reinstalling Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

safwatonline

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
SWAP

can i increase the swap size w/o reinstalling Linux , also i heared that i could make a file that acts as swap is this true?
N.B: i am using FC3
regards,
a.safwat

Re: SWAP

Hi, the swap is in a partition so if you resize the partition you can get more swap.

Best Regards

safwatonline

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
SWAP

thnx for the reply but the idea is that i dont have SWAP, also this may be a problem if the swap is surrounded by active paritions ?
so let me rephrase how to create new SWAP?
thnx again

Hi, ok fisrt you must have space without any partition, if you don`t have you should resize a partition to get free space. After use fdisk or your prefer program to create a partition with type linux swap (82). After that format the new swap partition with the command mkswap /dev/"you swap partition" example: mkswap /dev/hda3. Now you need to edit the file /etc/fstab and add this line:
/dev/"you swap partition" none swap sw 0 0

Best Regards

safwatonline

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

man for such problems the first thing is to google....so search google for the quickest help....

If all you want is to resize the SWAP partition try Partition Magic. It allows to resize most kind of usual partition (try the latest version).

Also you can use a file for SWAP. For that point to the file you in the mkswap command instead of the device refer its MAN page. And modify the /etc/fstab afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.