Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can i give more amperage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmtalsoul

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a cordless phone rated at 9V 350mA... Can i give more amperage say 1A to it so that i can improve its clarity? It seems to be giving me short range... Can someone please advice me? Does giving more amperage than the rated destroy an electronic device?

A device rated for 9V will draw from 9V voltage source as much current as it needs ..
Trying to "pump" 1A current into it will almost certainly damage it ..

You may try to increase the supply voltage to, say, ≈10V but you have to be very , very careful ..

Regards,
IanP

Dont ever try doing that ............ "although there may be a regulator inside the phone",
giving more current will not help you achieve the distance ............ and may destroy the internal circuitry !!!

oh thank you... actually i'm using a 9V DC adapter on which it is written 500mA and 1A... But if the phone takes whatever amperage from the 9V supply then why are the adapters rated? I'm unable to understand that... Also, if i'm unable to get the range is there anything i can do to rectify that? This cordless phone is a 5.8GHz model but i'm getting a higher range from a phone that is 950MHz.... Is it true that the lower frequency phone provides more range than the higher one??

Adapter amperage is current capabillity and phone amperage is need. Capabillity must be equal or greater than need.

Oh...so how can i find out the maximum current the phone can withstand...by the way... am i going on the wrong side... does increasing the amperage concern anything about the range of the phone??

With your knowledge only destructive method is applicable. Increase supply voltage and measure current draw. At some current phone will be damadged and smaller value is maximum. After this test by new phone. Increasing the current might improve range or not. You will find it out during the testing. Increasing current will reduce phone life period and probably cause bad operation.

Current and voltage rating written on adapter is the maximum current the adapter can povide at the given voltage . And its relation to phone current consumption is that it must be more than the maximum current the phone can consume .

Well , if you still want to pump 1 A current to cordless - Borber's advice is the best to start with.

Do it in proper ventilated room and keep in mind that after the test 911 will be unreachable.

With your knowledge only destructive method is applicable. Increase supply voltage and measure current draw. At some current phone will be damadged and smaller value is maximum. After this test by new phone. Increasing the current might improve range or not. You will find it out during the testing. Increasing current will reduce phone life period and probably cause bad operation.

Hmm... That was kind of a rough answer :) I'm not a born electronics expert... I'm still at the learning level... Thank you for the advice anyways... So, finally, what you say is increasing current has nothing to do with the range of the phone? I just wish there is some way to increase the range by atleast 10 feet radius...

Hmm... That was kind of a rough answer :) I'm not a born electronics expert... I'm still at the learning level... Thank you for the advice anyways... So, finally, what you say is increasing current has nothing to do with the range of the phone? I just wish there is some way to increase the range by atleast 10 feet radius...

i think the best way for you is changing the phone base from its original location..

Added after 51 seconds:

IanP said:
A device rated for 9V will draw from 9V voltage source as much current as it needs ..
Trying to "pump" 1A current into it will almost certainly damage it ..
IanP

yes that is just right, the device will draw as much current as it needs,
so my opinion is whether he give 350mA or 1A or even 2A since the voltage is constant(9V) the device will draw as much current as it need so there would not be ANY damage to the device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back