Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can admiitance be negative

Status
Not open for further replies.

pooja_khubbar

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i want to knw that for a simple dc ckt , can value of admittance be negative.
if so how..
i solved a numerical and found its y parameters for a two port nwk and value comes out to be negative which is same as in book...

Hi,

An active circuit can present a negative admittante or impedance.
For instance, a NIC (negative inmitance converter) presents a negative admittance.
Regards

Z

As zorro sad, active components can have negative impedance/admittance due to (inherent) positive feedback. It is used to create oscillators and circuits with hysteresis. All two-terminal devices with negative resistance slope (tunnel diodes, discharge lamps, etc) have negative admittance in some part of their operating curve.

It is important what WimRFP said about two-terminal devices (even passive) having negative slope (negative incremental admittance or resistance).

I overlook that Pooja told about a two-port network, not two-terminal.
In this case, with the conventions normally used for two-ports, even a serier resistor has negative Y12 and Y21 parameters.

Regards

Z

Zorro: To be honest, I also thought that Pooja referred to Y11 and Y22 (as Y21 and Y121 are negative in may many cases, look to your resistor example).

thanks WimRFP & zorro
"even a serier resistor has negative Y12 and Y21 parameters"..
it means resistance is negative and hence admittance...
i understand the explanation given for 2 terminal devices but not for two port nwk..
what is the meaning of negative resistance here and why it came and how it is possible ?

Hi pooja_khubbar

Y12 abd Y21 are not admittances but transfer admittances or transadmittances.
Given a two-terminal device, an admittance is the ratio between the current circulating across it and the voltage between its terminals.
Instead, a transfer admittance is the ratio between a current and a voltage, but in different parts of the circuit.
For a two-port, the parameter Y21 is defined as I2/V1 when V2=0 (i.e. port 2 short circuited)
In this two-port (this is the one we were speaking about):

o-------------/\/\/--------o<--- I2
V1..port1........................port2
o------------------------------o

with a short circuit in port2, I2=-V1/R, (look at the direction of the arrow, that by convention enters the network).
So, Y21=I2/V2=-R. With R positive, Y21 is negative.
The same (inverting the ports) is for Y12.

Not than Y11=Y22=1/R, i.e. positive.
Y11 and Y22 are true admittances, rather than transadmittances:
Y11=I1/V1 when V2=0
Y11=Y22=1/R

Regards

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back