Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can a MOS capacitance be negative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tangqin55

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
MOS capacitances

After simulating one MOS transistor, the Results will provide ids and 16 intrinsic caps like cgs and cgd.

I feel streng 'cause they are all negative.

please help me to figure it out!

MOS capacitances

?
Nobody can answer???

Re: MOS capacitances

Hi,
I am not sure if a MOS can have negative mos caps, but surely it can have negative Ids.
what is the type of MOS? what are u trying to simulate?
please provide more details.

thanks,
Sowmya

MOS capacitances

I just simulate a 45nm MOS device for Ids and caps.
I planed to use table-based data to model the intrinsic caps of a transistor, but after Spectre simulation, I found all the caps have negative values.

I read some papers about table-based MOS models, almost all of them use charge tables for modeling.
I just feel confused why not directly using cap table model?

Thanks so much for your reply!!!

The caps got from spectre are based on mathematical abstractions. It is the differential of charge wrt Voltage.

For instance if Cdg is -ve, that doesn't mean the cap from drain to gate is negative.

Search on this board, I remember someone had an easier to understand explanation

then, if I want to get Cgs, Cgd look-up tables wrt Vgs and vds, can I use the value provided after Spectre simulation?

i think it will not possible to have -ve capacitance...
Cgs =(2/3 )W LCox +W Cgso=2/3 W LCox +W LD Cox
Cgd =W Cgdo=W LD Cox

For 45nm technology and below, the caps are derived from charge. Since the charge expressions are really complicated so I want to get the cap value directly.

I read some papers about table-based transistor model, but all of them use charge tables. I can't understand why not using cap tables 'cause Q=CV.

is there any way to simulation terminal charge by using spectre or spice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back