Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can a hairdryer put high voltage spikes back into the mains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupoftea

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.
Can a hairdryer put high voltage spikes back into the mains?
How High?

I imagine it could but that could because any inductive or capacitive load turning on and off has the potential.
It also depends on how well the device is designed - what sort of suppression it might contain etc..
Why?
What is the situation you are concerned about?
Susan

If you had done some research beforehand you would have realized that ordinary hair dryers are built with AC motors of the same type used by your ceiling fan, so there are no extraneous noises. Also, as it is a 'brushless' running motor there are no spikes - at least there shouldn't be in a continous form ( prehaps at the switching off ). Still, even if there were any kind of noise, it would not be that high, as the back-electromotive force of an inductive load is of the same value as the voltage applied by the power bus, so the peak would be ( if that were the case ) twice the mains peak voltage.

Most hair dryers have brushed fan motor. The impedance is however too high compared to grid impedance to generate noticeable voltage spikes, just a bit conducted RF noise.

What is the situation you are concerned about?
The hairdryer damaging its own input X2 capacitor.

Also, i wonder what is the power of a hairdryer motor?.....hairdryers are around 1500W, but most of that is the heater coil...how much is for the motor in Watts?

crappy X cap - the cheap version from the great land east of russia ....
--- Updated ---

are you running it on half power most of the time ... ?

Hi,

I've seen hair dryer motors running from low voltage, divided down by a heating element.
I don't know if all do it this way. But this way even less motor noise goes back to the grid.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back