Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can 89S be programmed using USBasp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Can 89S programmed using USBasp?

The original firmware what is available from USB asp is not capable of programming 89Sxx. next came a new modified firmware whcih is a direct replacement to the later and when used with ProgISP was possible to program the 89Sxx series. What you use is the same what was found as a new firmware and it should work well. many have sucessfully done this which can be found on this thread with ample discussions.
Cheers

hi pranam, this firmware working good to program 89S51&52 but when program 89S8253 it's say "can't enter programming mode", have you tested yet?
I want make it USBasp can program 89S8253, cause at now I work with 89S8253 and my laptop didn't have parallel port, so I confuse how to program the chip.
I have make the program using proteus and want see a program in real hardware.

Thanks in advance

plse check Flip Installer - 3.4.5.106version debugger to configure isp of at89c51 controller

I have been using the said HW with modified firmeware and have programmed a lot of 89S52 without any problems. Any other chip is not available in our market and thus never thought of trying too. Normally the rates are too high compared to the cost of 89C versions. But as far as i guess there should be no problems in programming any chip mentioned in ProgISP programming software.

Does it work as it is like an USB? i do not know about processors much!

Does it work as it is like an USB? i do not know about processors much!
Yes absolutely works more than USBasp...While USBasp can program only AVR's the modified firmware here makes the same hardware capable of programming 89SXX too.

No it cannot be programmed!

you can't do it dear....:)

Re: progispv1.65

yes its possible .i have the working one with hello world programming in 89s51

Not possible. Usbasp dont support 89S.
89s52 is in the device list is because the Progisp software is designed to handle a number of hardwares which also supports 89S micros (For example stk500)

Nandhu

This programmer is really interesting and many people are now using the modified USB-ASP successfully.

In the schematic of the original USB-ASP it is mentioned that either an ATMega88 or an ATMega8 can be used.

Is this true for the modified firmware (89s52 capable) version also. The modified version's schematic doesn't mention this fact.

I will try to find whichever chip is available or is cheaper. It would be very helpful if some expert can post a list of all the ATMega chips that are compatible with the modified firmware and can be used to build this programmer.

Thank You,
Vineet Kumar Singh

As far as i know AtMega8 is the cheapest available chip.

anyone can test this programmer can program at89s8253, are the firmware is changed or the hardware?
I have tried program at89s8253, and it can't program. anyone can help this ???

Where to find the latest firmware supporting Atmel 89Sxx microcontrollers any link please

I tried with AT89S52, it works...

The thread has grown lengthy so I felt like summarising main issues of interest to one who is looking for a simple programming tool for AT89S51/52.

What I could gather from the post is as follows:
Use the schematic shown below, red encircled part are optional and can be omitted if standard programing features are used.

View attachment USB_ASP1.bmp or USB_ASP1.jpg

Assemble the circuit using PCB shown at https://www.circuitvalley.com/2011/06/usb-8051-avr-microcontroller-programmer.html

Like :

USBASP_PCB1.jpg USBASP_PCB2.jpg USBASP_PCB3.jpg

Having assembled the circuit use an AVR programmer to burn the firmware into Atmega8 and burn the firmware:
Firmware is given on above link which is attached in file main.rar

now the programmer is ready for use and connected to the target as shown at the link (a standard procedure).
The programming software suggested is ProgISP which is also attached as progISP168.rar.

This is all that is need.

One question, is there any other software, other than ProgISP that can be used with this circuit and firmware? which is tested or expected to work.
Also if the summary is correct all the points at one place will be helpful for individuals like me who are not deep into it.
Please correct at any place if needed so it become complete and useful.

Attachments

• main.rar
    4 KB · Views: 102
  • progisp168.rar
    819.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

anyone have tested this usbasp work in win 7 or win 8

Bianchi77
If you could add some more details on the proper drivers and utility for Windows7 it will be useful. It is not clear if the drivers and utilities are same as those under discussion or different? Please add few lines, possibly with hyperlinks if necessary.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back