Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can 89S be programmed using USBasp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Can 89S programmed using USBasp?

hi every one i know that 89s51 or 52 cannot be programmed by usb,but i cant understand wat is usb-asp and avr can any one please tell me wat they are....

89S51 and 89S52 are Microcontrollers from Atmel compatible with In circuit programming. And USB asp is a Open source USB programmer used to program AVR series -9of microcontrollers from Atmel, whose firmaware is now modified so that the same programmer is capable of programming AVR's as well 89S series chips.

Programmability: AT89C51 only supports parallel programming, But AT89S51 supports both parallel programming and ISP programming.
Voltage in the programming area, AT89C51 in addition to normal programming voltage of 5V, another 12v is needed for Vpp. But AT89S51 just need to be 4-5V.
============================================================
Hi Pranam,
You say that AT89C51 supports only parallel programming while the datasheet says that it can be programmed using ISP. So I want to ask you that if we put this chip with ISP and feed 12V Vpp from external source through a diode, would it work to program the chip?
(I'll give it a tray once I get the chip.)
============================================================
Hi Pranam,
For me ISP means that if I can program a chip in it's native (target) circuit, and for that some sort of basic circuit e.g. crystal/ cap has to be provided on the native circuit. So just to clarify I wanted to say that if I make a serial programmer and connect it like ISP (with 6 pins) with the micro controller in it's native circuit (obviously with the native power off) it can be programmed. Because it supports serial programming mode. So that's why I used ISP. So now my question is still there. :)

Last edited:

if we put this chip with ISP and feed 12V Vpp from external source through a diode, would it work to program the chip?

have you even bothered to look at the datasheet for the 89C51??

have you even bothered to look at the datasheet for the 89C51??

Hi ctownsend,
I'm attaching the datasheet with the highlighted information and do bother to have a look at it and extend my little knowledge by explaining. Because I think that if I make a serial programmer and connect the right pins with the micro controller it can be programmed in it's system (that's what I call ISP).
Now I'll do it and then get back to you. Soon. :)
(And please go through my previous post at pranam's reply, I've clarified something there.)
View attachment AT-89-C-51.pdf

Last edited:

Read pages 6 & 7 of the datasheet and you will see what it takes to program this chip.

If you think you can do it with ISP, you are wasting your time!

Why don't you just get an 89S51 which supports the ISP method of programming?

89S51 and 89S52 are Microcontrollers Atmel what must be compatible if We use instead of Atmel-how? what can not.

please help, thanks

**broken link removed**

Hi Angel,
If your question was "whether 89-S-51 and 89-S-52 are compatible?" then answer is "Yes".
And you can use PIC microcontrollors instead of ATmels if you wish.
Hope it helps.

Hi All,
Happy to inform you that 89-S can be programmed using USBasp. Please read my work at,
https://www.edaboard.com/blog/353/
or
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/200935/#post845310
...and I'm trying to find a way to make it work for the 89-C series as well, so if anyone wishes to offer a helping hand, welcome...

Last edited:

I had built the programmer mention by Binu and success to download program in to 89S52.
But when i try to use on AT89S8253, it pop up an error "Chip Enable Program Error".
I'm using progisp 1.68. This error come up when i want to read or write AT89S8253.
Please give me some advise. Thank you.

I try again. On AT89S51 and AT89S52 it work. Can read and write.
But On AT89S8252 and AT89S8253, Progisp ver 1.68 will show "Chip Enable Program Error".
I haven't find out what is the reasons.

The usbasp code does not work with AT89S8252 and AT89S8253. On these two devices, the addressing is different. AT89S53 is also different.

**broken link removed**
According to Binu blogs, he say this design should support AT89S51, AT89S52, AT89S53, AT89S8252, AT89S8253, AT89S2051, AT89S4051.
So actually it only support AT89S51, AT89S52, AT89S2051, AT89S4051?

The usbasp code does not work with AT89S8252 and AT89S8253. On these two devices, the addressing is different. AT89S53 is also different.

Isn't AT89S53 obsolete now(or it is soon goign to be)? It is not recommended for new designs has been replaced by AT89S8253.
BR

Not possible. Usbasp dont support 89S.
89s52 is in the device list is because the Progisp software is designed to handle a number of hardwares which also supports 89S micros (For example stk500)

check out this link for usbasp which is capable of programming 89 series

SPAMING THE BOARD WITH LINK TO YOUR SITE NEXT TIME YOU WILL BE BANNED

Not possible. Usbasp dont support 89S. 89s52 is in the device list is because the Progisp software is designed to handle a number of hardwares which also supports 89S micros (For example stk500)
USBASP doesnt support 89Sxx when original firmware is used. The modified firmware may be loaded which is available on this thread and the programmer may be used with ProgISP software where the 89Sxx may be selected in the device list. The progISP detects the programmer automatically. No driver and hardware modifications required.
Cheers

Hi,

I moved from Windows XP to Windows 7 and since LPT is no longer working, I have to use USB now to programm my AT89S8252.
As I was reading all threads above, I saw that people had a lot of experience with USBASP and AT89S family.
Nevertheless I got a bit confused since many suggestions were brought up and many tried them but not all experiments were reported for success or failure.

I purchased a USBASP programmer on eBay. There is a text on the board: USBASP V2.0.
The link for anyone interested: **broken link removed**
It looks like this:
**broken link removed**

Did anyone work with this version of the programmer?
This programmer should be able to program AT89S8252 micros but so far I get "Chip enable program error".
I've been trying to find out why with no luck so I came here.
Using ProgIsp1.72 I saw that the schematics is this:

**broken link removed**

The oscillator I use is 12MHz and not 4.0MHz as suggested here: USB 8051/AVR programmer.

I suspect that since XTAL1 is going into the programmer, the firmware adjusts itself to the clock.

I saw that some programmers had their firmware replaced to get working with 89S52, is it still the case for AT89S8252?
Can anyone here put together a small step-by-step just to summarize all the steps needed to make USBASP Programmer work with AT89S series?

Jacob.

You need to invert the RESET signal as 8051 have an active HIGH RESET versus an active LOW for most other MCUs.

If you are using Keil for your program IDE:

Ensure the HEX file is generated when building your app.

1. Tools->Customise Tools Menu-> add program

2. Menu content: USBASP_mkII

3. Command: Browse for stk500.exe

4. Arguments: -cUSB -d$D -ms -e -if%H -pf -vf

5. Save configuration.

I've used this configuration successfully with both STK500 and AVRISP mkii to program the AT89S series. A friend of mine has reported success using a USBasp and the above configuration as well.

BigDog

Assuming I'm not using KEIL, assuming I'm writing assembly code and making a HEX file.
When change should I make to make USBASP work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back