Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cadence Tools - Which Linux do you advise???

Status
Not open for further replies.

aoshater

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am starting my graduation project this week on designing Library-based PLL and we were told to acquire Cadence Tools on Linux. Since I have no experience at all with Linux nor IC designing Cadence Tools , my question is :

1) Which Linux Distribution should i get installed?

2) How large should I partition to just fit Linux installation plus Cadence Tools, assuming I'll install all cadence tools.

Thank you,

Ahmad Othman El Shater.

Electronics & Comm. Dept,AinShams University,Egypt

It's depended on which version of EDA tools you want to install.
I have installed IC5.0 under redhat8.0 and IC5141 under Fedora Core3.0.All succeeded.
And redhat9.0 is not recommanded.

I would recomend you install RedHat7.3 or 8 and then install all the Cadence tools. Make the Linux partition larger (15-25GB) than the Windows one if you plan to DualBoot and also install all the Cadence Tools.

you can find a lot of topics on the linux section https://www.edaboard.com/forums/41/
I use suse 9.0 , and 10gb are enough for the linux and cadence instalation . IC5033 +Aptivia +Assura +LDV+Matlab will use aprox 4.5gb

I highly recommended that you use Redhat Linux Enterprise 3.0 as your LINUX OS.

regards,
Saho

I give the SWAP 1G,and 12G for EXT3
FC4 and RedHat9 AS with IC5033 all successed

RedHat 7.x can not recognize a lot of new hardware,maybe it's not suit for you

i use redhat 8.
and the eda tools include cadence /synopsys/ are work well!
Redhat Linux Enterprise 3.0 is another a good choose.

I think 1st Redhat (ES3), 2nd Suse(9.X).

hello,
this is my first post here .
i was wondering why they dont do a windows version of these tools.

If u can get an enterprise edition, it will be the best.

If not, u can use Fedora Core III with IC5.1.41

If you run IC50, RedHat 8 would be best. RedHat8 or higher version has a problem. It's impossible to interactive with calibre.

I use CentOS 3.x and 4.x which are 100% compatible with RHEL 3.x and 4.x. Use 4.x if you have the latest hardware.

I'm using Debian Etch (testing) and IC 5.1.41 without any problem. About the space, you needs 5 GB for Linux+IC suite and some addtional spaces for your working directory. How large is it? depend on your expected jobs.

SWAP+RAM need not to be larger than 3 GB since Cadence 32-bit can't allocate memory more than that i.e. if you have 1 GB RAM, it's useless to set SWAP more than 2 GB. You can also set SWAP smaller than that, but if you simulate very detailed transient, you may encounter the not enough memory problem.

isuggest use larger partition like 30GB+ as if ur circuits gets big, so does the transient data space, i use close to 3GB for each simulation run for ADC

I use the redhat 7.2 and the space is 20G

It is depand on you job, I just run a small circuit:)

Cadence is not everything, could you tell me how to get any design kit? even 1um

regards

Please can anyone tell me how to get any version of AMS design kit ? I mean any free version even if been uncomplete design kit (demo) just to try to use tools and learn it practically..

AMS design kit is not a freely available design kit. You have to sign an NDA form in order to use it, however, this process is free of charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back