Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cadence on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala How-To

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl500

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Finally I've got everything working on Ubuntu 9.10. Hope this howto will be useful.
I'm not going to describe in details how to install Ubuntu, Cadence etc. but additional tweaks in order to get it working.

0. Clean install of Ubuntu 9.10 386 Desktop

1. Install additional packages necessary for Cadence.

Maybe some of these packages are already installed on your system, but to be sure try to install all of them (of course, all of these could be installed in one go):

Code:
sudo apt-get install libelf1
sudo apt-get install ksh
sudo apt-get install nscd
sudo apt-get install policykit
sudo apt-get install ureadahead
sudo apt-get install csh

2. Install libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 package.

Unfortunately, this package is absent in recent Ubuntu versions, so download it from Ubuntu Dapper repository: https://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 and install it:

Code:
sudo dpkg -i  libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2_2.95.4-24_i386.deb

3. Make some necessary links

Code:
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/awk /bin/awk
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/netscape
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2

4. Install en_US locale (Ubuntu uses UTF8 by default):

Code:
sudo locale-gen en_US

5. Probably you will need to make some changes in your xorg configuration:

Add following strings into /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Code:
Section "Extensions" 
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

(if you do not have /etc/X11/xorg.conf either it is not necessary for your graphics card, or just create this file and add above lines to it)

Reconfigure your xserver:

Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

and restart session (NOTE: it will restart your current session!):

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

6. Install Cadence IC5141, IC610, Assura, MMSIM61 etc.

7. In order to use cdsdoc you will have to make some changes in Cadence itself:

a) Locate all instances of libgcc_s.so and libgcc_s.so.1 in Cadence hierarchy (they will be located in PACKAGENAME/tools/lib/ or PACKAGENAME/linux/tools/lib/ , where PACKAGENAME is mmsim61 or assura or ic610 or ic5141 whatsoever) and rename all of them to *.old, e.g.

Code:
mv mmsim61/tools/lib/libgcc_s.so mmsim61/tools/lib/libgcc_s.so.old
mv mmsim61/tools/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 mmsim61/tools/lib/libgcc_s.so.1.old

It is very important that you will rename all instances of libgcc_s.so and libgcc_s.so.1 that are in Cadence hierarchy but leave /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 intact.

b) Locate all instances of cdsdoc and obServer files (they will reside in PACKAGENAME/tools/bin/ or PACKAGENAME/tools/bin/ , where PACKAGENAME is mmsim61 or assura or ic610 or ic5141 whatsoever) and open them in the text editor (e.g. nano) and make the following changes:

Code:
#Standard x86 systems
#               LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5
                LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.6.31
                export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL

Instead of 2.2.5 you need to write your own kernel version. Current version of your kernel you could find using

Code:
uname -r

You'll get something like

Code:
2.6.31-18-generic

You need to use first three numbers as shown above.

If there is no such a section in obServer file, just leave it intact.
It is important that you will change cdsdoc (and obServer) that are in your PATH, but you'd better change all of them just in case.

That's it. At least for me - everything works fine on my Ubuntu 9.10 386 Desktops. If you'll find that I've forgot something, and you are not able to run Candence on Ubuntu after you make all these changes, let's try to understand what is going wrong together.

HI,

WHILE INSTALLING THIS IS THE ERROR I GET. PLZ LET ME KNOW HOW SHOULD I SOLVE THIS.

Detecting InstallScape for lnx86...
Checking InstallScape on media...
/bin/tar: Skipping to next header
/bin/tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
/bin/tar: ./iscape/VERSION.lnx86: Not found in archive
/bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
/bin/cat: /tmp/is3276/iscape/VERSION.lnx86: No such file or directory

You must have write permissions to /cad/is //I was installing this as a root
There must be atleast 80 MB of disk space available in // i have 18 GB free space
/cad/is

/bin/tar: Skipping to next header
/bin/tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
/bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
Exiting...

Hello,

Do I need other package to install older Cadence version 5.0.33 on Ubuntu 9.10?

error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6 cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2 cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Thanks for your help

Fun13

Hi,

I haven't got this older Cadence version, so I could not check it.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I was able to run 5.0.33 on ubuntu 6.06 but do not have licenses for more recent versions of Cadence.

Status
Not open for further replies.