Not open for further replies.

davyzhu

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

NC-Sim provide two main command to dump data: stop (-cont) and strobe.

My problem is which command is faster when used to dump data?

Thanks!
Davy

davyzhu said:
Hi all,

NC-Sim provide two main command to dump data: stop (-cont) and strobe.

I hope by "dump data" you mean "dumping/printing values of some signals/variables".

From ncvlog.pdf:

The strobe command is a Tcl procedure that uses the stop command to set a condition,
object, or time breakpoint and then, when the breakpoint triggers, executes a value
command to print out the values of the specified objects in tabular format.

So it is essentially the same thing, easier to use strobe I believe.

In general this debug approach is fine, but it depends on how many such commands you use, if you use only a few, it shouldn't really matter. If you use lots of them, I would recommend a review of your debug strategy - debug can be (and IMHO should be) built into testbench code as much as possible. We demonstrate such approach in our VMM adoption book, www.systemverilog.us

Idea is that a "transaction" should have pre-define display mechanism and the debug levels are deligently ued, controllable from a signle place etc. (Using vmm_log class).

Today I was attending AVM (Mentor) presentation, looks like they also have some thing similar, so clearly industry is moving towards this direction!

HTH
Ajeetha, CVC
www.noveldv.com
* A Pragmatic Approach to VMM Adoption 2006 ISBN 0-9705394-9-5 h**p://www.systemverilog.us/
* SystemVerilog Assertions Handbook
* Using PSL/Sugar

davyzhu

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi aji_vlsi,

I am very interested in your idea. And fully agreed with your opinion "debug should be merged to testbench as much as possible".

And I cannot understand your sentence below. Is "transaction" mean "transaction level verification"? Do you mean "controllable from a single place" is "run one testbench"? And do you think how to determine the debug level? Thanks!

Idea is that a "transaction" should have pre-define display mechanism and the debug levels are diligently used, controllable from a single place etc. (Using vmm_log class).

Best regards,
Davy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…