Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cadence Bid to Buy Mentor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mentor is resisting. But they may not be able to hold out.

I agree,
their shareholders must be upset after losing 30% on original May offer.

I like this from a user point of view, but I hate it from a business point of view. Prices will shoot up and that's never good for business.

As a user you like Cadence tools more than Mentor tools? But how long will it take them to integrate? And what will be the result?

As a user you like Cadence tools more than Mentor tools? But how long will it take them to integrate? And what will be the result

Cadence has put lots of $ into developing Allegro tool set, it wont destroy it.
If anything they add some features of Expedition to Allegro and as I said earlier they would get rid of PADS and then later maybe Expedition.

JMO

M

I can understand why you don't like PADS and Expedition but I don't understand why you want them to go away. If you don't like them, don't use them, right?

Added after 41 seconds:

Update: Mentor is refusing the buyout. Saying Cadence offer is too low.
**broken link removed**

I can understand why you don't like PADS and Expedition but I don't understand why you want them to go away. If you don't like them, don't use them, right?

Is not that if I like them or not. More often than not as a designer you end up to work for company that has this tool rather than other one. So is not just stop using an inferior tool as PADS is and start to use another one. I like Expedition it was called Veribest before Mentor bought them and is very capable tool.
Cadence has done this to OrCAD Layout and drop this tool.
If they succeed to buy Mentor I see no reason for them to keep PADS.

I'm an ASIC designer, so I'm looking at this from an ASIC design tools point of view. And I don't see the benefit. The Mentor test and verification tools like TestKompress and Calibre are good at their jobs. Meanwhile for Cadence, Encounter is leading it's class and I was hoping to see Mentor add another challenger with their acquisition of Sierra and the Olympus tool. You know that the Encounter license costs about $1 Million?? We need MORE competition.

kender said:
gliss said:
But how long will it take them to integrate [Cadence and Mentor]?
They integrate fairly well already. For instance a huge number of professional PCB designers use OrCAD Capture with PADS layout.

And even DxDesigner can be used with Allegro.

This issue in integration will be from a schematic and layout point of view if they drop certain suites. For example, supporting PADS layouts if they flush the tool. They do not convert well to Expedition or Allegro. Same for schematics if they drop OrCAD or DxDesigner.

in any case...should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back