Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

C++ Building and usign Custom Streams ... or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephazz

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi eda board,
I'm a "Electronical Engineering and Information Technology" student at his final project. Unfortunatly the manpages don't help me with my current idea.

My project is to write a MSVC++ programm to handle a constant data stream of 20 MB/s. This stream is produced by a custom electronic and the goal is to process the data as fast as it comes into my machine. My machine will be a WinXP-32Bit-Pro 8-Core with 8x1 GB RAM using Intels TBB-framework for parralisation.

The data comes into my programm via a library function which takes a reference to an unsigned char array and returnes after it is filled with new data. I also have to write a GUI (which I plan to use MFC for) so I plan to implement a MVC structure where the USB receiving is attached to the controller. The controller also "processes" the data and writes it to the model. Plus it dumps old data to the HDD. The model holds my current, valid data. The viewer is the GUI.

I'm not really processing the data. What I do with each data paket is:
- decode the header
- decide what kind of data it is (3 types) and call a corresponding put function
- the put function writes the data to the model

I told a friend of mine who studies Computerscience about my speed problem (comparing the already read data to a compare array takes 3 times longer than reading it from USB) and that I'm going to solve it using massive parallelism. He told me that he'd solve it in Java with streams. Unfortunatly he isn't firm with C++. I've read a bunch of internet pages and searched all my books but I can't find anything about selfmade streams.

Would you recommend using a stream here? If yes what can I read to learn more? Do you have any hints or suggestions?

----
Jan

PS: My first plan was to use a bunch of STL vectors storing the received arrays. They would be proteced by TBB sync-objects as single-write-multiple-read. Imagine a linked list of arrays. At the right end the USB receiver adds new arrays. At the left end multiple threads take arrays away to process them real-parallel. After putting new data into the model the "array taker" would call or notify a function to dump the old data to HDD (which is still stored in the model, marked as old data)

Looking at your problem from two perspectives

1)
You have a USB device streaming data at 20MBps. The library that gets that data has a blocking call. Your problem is NOT that you can't get data from USB
at 20MBps, the problem is that once you get it you have to compare it and that takes a lot of time.

If it is concerned with comparison "ONLY AND ONLY" after data has been got, then properly designed parallelism will improve efficiency of comparison. Either using streams or sub arrays won't have much difference. It will be properly designed parallelism that will make significant difference.

2)
BUT comparing speed of 'data comparison' with that of USB is logically incorrect. They are in two different domains. If I assume that you want to improve overall efficiency of the system (and not just that of comparison) and don't have restriction of "comparison after getting 20MB data" then

You can divide your USB data into smaller chunk i.e. your library function can return less than 20MB data, then using streams at that point is definitely going to help. You'll need to implement a multithreaded model, where USB will keep of dumping smaller chunks of data and you can get and compare it ASAP in other thread(s).

If you have the freedom of writing driver then using Jung's WinDriver product you can develop a driver for your USB device, that will have built in stream functionality to get data from USB and return it to you else look for streams at MSDN and you can do it yourself. I think you'll be better with istrstream, that handles in memory streams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back