Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bypassing a shunt. A silly question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fat Corgi

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello out there,
I have an electrical question, that may be completely silly, but can't find a straight answer anywhere. I am building a new UAV project and am wanting to run a data logger in the system. The UAV will be powered by 2 6S 10000mAh LiPo batteries in parallel (22.2v), and I have calculated the current draw to around 60-70A constant with peaks of approx 160-170A. Now the issue is the data logger is only rated to 150A, which I may exceed. Someone on another forum has claimed that they have wired in a loop that bypasses the current sensor, with the same amount of resistance, and basically halves the load that the sensor measures. I wanted to know if this is plausible. I would have to run current through the system and measure the load externally, then calibrate the software that runs the data logger based on my results.
I have attached some pictures of what I am talking about. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The logger is an EagleTree eLogger V4 150A.
100_0051.jpg100_0052.jpg

Hello out there,
I have an electrical question, that may be completely silly, but can't find a straight answer anywhere. I am building a new UAV project and am wanting to run a data logger in the system. The UAV will be powered by 2 6S 10000mAh LiPo batteries in parallel (22.2v), and I have calculated the current draw to around 60-70A constant with peaks of approx 160-170A. Now the issue is the data logger is only rated to 150A, which I may exceed. Someone on another forum has claimed that they have wired in a loop that bypasses the current sensor, with the same amount of resistance, and basically halves the load that the sensor measures. I wanted to know if this is plausible. I would have to run current through the system and measure the load externally, then calibrate the software that runs the data logger based on my results.
I have attached some pictures of what I am talking about. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The logger is an EagleTree eLogger V4 150A.
View attachment 108667View attachment 108668

Not silly.
I.E

2* 1R resistors in parallel , gives a resistance that is 0R5, but more importantly current flows equally through each resistor.

It is basically resistors in parallel, so add a bypass link, then add in a small series resistance between the load and your measurement device.

Thanks code_slave,
I think I understand what you mean. I'd love it if you could dumb it down a little for me. So as long at the resistance in the bypass and the sensor line are equal there should be no problem. Correct? Do I have to add anything to the bypass wire? The resistance through the hall effect shunt is negligible. Will the bypass wires being the same length as the sensor wires be enough?
Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back