Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Butterworth Bandpass Filter for 18-21Khz

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiwari.sachin

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

I want to design a butterworth band pass filter. The frequency passband is between 18KHz to 22KHz. I would want to use RC 4 pole (4th order) filter using LM324.

The filter design will be used to allow the audio asignals within this range while the remaining part will not be.

Sallan Key 3 pole should also be feasible.

I am nor sure about the appropriate design to use. Kindly suggest if there are any feasible options. Any notes for the calculation of the same will be very helpful.

Sallan Key 3 pole should also be feasible.

Please note that bandpass filters are of even order only. They are derived from lowpass-bandpass transformation (LP1->BP2, LP2->BP4,...).
My suggestion: Use one of the filter design programs (available for free).

I made a bandpass filter using biquad topology. I had also considered state variable type, which is similar.

I used a single 324 op amp. Three were used for the filter itself, and the fourth amp was a buffer.

Since I wanted high Q, I spent some time testing resistors and capacitors from my parts collection, in order to find matching values.

There is a formula you can use. It starts with resistors at value 1000 ohms, and capacitors of a certain value, which are known to produce a particular center frequency. Then you multiply by a scaling factor to find what cap values you need to use to obtain the frequency you desire.

LvW - Could you kindly let me know of any such software. I tried to find but couldnt succeed. I havent designed a butterworth ever and have been finding it very confusing.

BradtheRad - Is it possible to help me with some reference schematic and formulas that you were referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.