Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Building the PICKit2 from scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.
pickit 2 clone

Well in review of the amount of students that want a cheap basic programmer I'm putting together a PICKit2 clone. Basic 5V design only to keep the price down. I'm also combining it with the Firefly kit (16F88 tutor)
The PICKit2 makes a nice cheap programmer with debug support. While not as powerful as an ICD2 it's very simple to make and supports many popular 16F & 18F PICs.

PS I was wrong, if you use the software for PICKit2 (not MPLAB) you can program the 10F PICs

New kit will be called Junebug
**broken link removed**

pic kit 2 schematic

Ok, I see that new pickit2 version has also debugger capabilities, its cheaper (original, clone and homemade versions), also supports 10 and 12 series even serial memories like 24, 25 and better of all it is open source. And it seems the firmware versions are growing fast I Think the guy is right. It looks extremelly easy to build than the ICD2. What do you think?

Un saludo para mi paisano de Jalisco.

narccizzo

pickit2 icd2

I'm testing the design with a minimal PICKit2 design, no EEPROMs, no clamp transistors, no variable VDD.

pic kit 2 programmer pinout

As a DIYer designer, you can do whatever you want and still make staff working. Good job.
Here is another PICkit 2 clone on production already with SMD design. Basiclly it is an open source design, anyone can get the schematic from this forum, modify it, change it and enjoy it.

Compare with Microhip's design (both without enclosure), both support external power supply.
31_1194890404.jpg

Raw PCB and full components are also available here.
LINK REMOVED

Assembly drawing showing here:
100_1194890317.jpg

Fully assembled product with life-time warranty are also available:
LINK REMOVED

pickit2 parts list

narccizzo said:
Ok, I see that new pickit2 version has also debugger capabilities, its cheaper (original, clone and homemade versions), also supports 10 and 12 series even serial memories like 24, 25 and better of all it is open source. And it seems the firmware versions are growing fast I Think the guy is right. It looks extremelly easy to build than the ICD2. What do you think?

Un saludo para mi paisano de Jalisco.

narccizzo
Agree.

pickit2 clones

Size comparing with the ICD2 (both with enclosure).
7_1194890776.jpg

pickit2 clone pcb

Ok guys, you have encouraged me to continue my tests on DIY PICKIT2. Now I managed to have my prototype (breadboard built with the 18F2550, crystal, etc) to be recognized by the PC and PICKIT2 software and also by the MPLAB 8. Although I did not build the eeproms (I have the 24LC512) and the switch transistors circuits, the DC-DC converter (12V) worked well and passed in the test. I need some time to draw a PCB layout for my components (all dip through hole) components).

Obs: I have one ICD2LE for debugging, but the PICKIT2 software is lighter and easier to use for burning purposes, so I think it worths to be built.

pickit2 clone programming

I dont know why people say pickit2 is no debugger.... it even has a "debug express" kit that comes a 16f887 trainer (leds, pot for ADC, and switch to control interrupts) . I successfully debugged my thesis ICD while it was running (not working totally as iwant unfortunately, at least not yet ... :( ) it' 16f887 based (like the trainer it came with) i dont know how ... i mean i have no icd but i was tempted to build one but pickit has plenty of options (UART Tool, logic analyzer, firmware update TOO which is another thing some people say icd is better)and it is relatively cheap .... so... any questions or valid opinions?

Added after 2 minutes:

funnynypd???? ACCION DEMOCRATICA? you venezuelan man? kkkkk that logo looks like a polithical party here kkkk

pickit 2 18f2550

Katmai, try looking at the post dates! :wink:

full pickit2 clone

Nah.. it's good that such an old post had such a long life!

I am wondering.. don;t we have a SIMPLE USB programmer for the PIC16 and 18F's like there is the USBAsp for AVR?

Just look at how look they made such a thing : https://www.fischl.de/usbasp/

It should not be that hard to emulate USB in a 628A or a 877A!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back