Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Build easy MPLAB-6 ICD-2 for PIC18F2550

Status
Not open for further replies.
débugger 16f84 icd2

I have build ICD2 with PIC16F877A, flashed it with 877abootloader and downloaded new OS. Now if performs Self Test it passed even if Vpp voltage is not connected, how can it be?

icd2 clone sixca mplab

Step by step simulation very slow. Any solution?

build+icd2

I built the design with the 16f877a chip and a 232acpe chip. Works well aside from a few design problems, I used 2n3906 transistors and regular diodes 1n4004 i think and it worked well, you have to use the right zener and it works great. Although now i am having problems with some of the programs i had before. Lothar has now posted a usb version that he says is working well, has anyone tried to build it yet?

pic16f876 icd2

Here are 3 ICD2 working project in Eagle 4.11 (single sided board).

how to program a hex with icd2

cozturk said:
Step by step simulation very slow. Any solution?

Here there are two ways of the decision of a problem:

1. To use the USB interface (CY7C64613)
2. To use the quartz resonator with high frequency for debugged MC

software mplab v.7.40

Hi,
I've build the ICD2 from **broken link removed** and I added the TUSB3410 to connect the ICD to the USB port.
I post the schematic, PCB and firmware. I tested it with a 18F452 and it works fine :)
You can also visit my webpage : http://sjeffroy.free.fr/Prog__PIC/ICD2/icd2.html where I put some sreenshots and a photo of the ICD2.
Have fun ;-)

how to connect the icd 2

seb27 said:
Hi,
I've build the ICD2 from h**p://stolz.de.be/ and I added the TUSB3410 to connect the ICD to the USB port.
I post the schematic, PCB and firmware. I tested it with a 18F452 and it works fine :)
You can also visit my webpage : h**p://sjeffroy.free.fr/Prog__PIC/ICD2/icd2.html where I put some sreenshots and a photo of the ICD2.
Have fun ;-)

-> USB and 57600 baud rate? It very slowly! What for it is necessary to make it?

youtube-1.mplab 7.5

> USB and 57600 baud rate? It very slowly! What for it is necessary to make it?

The TUSB3410 is an USB to RS232 converter, so it's the same as connecting the ICD2 in RS232. You won't have the same speed as the Cypress :-( because the Cypress is an USB to 8 bits port converter.

icd2 self test fail

Hi Seb27,

But where is firmware or software drivers for TUSB3410 usb chip? Your zipped file has everthing but missing software drivers for TUSB3410.

Regards,

mplab6+download

I have built icd2 with pic16f877A micro. When i test high voltage circuit, it works fine. But then i connect icd2 to some test micro (tested with pic16 and pic18) Vpp volatage is dropping sometimes. If I connect dvm in parallel with mclr pin of test micro, everything is working fine, but without dvm connected, vpp is droping and nothing work fine. What can be the problem?

mplab 6.

hi all
i need help, please:

i made my ICD2 clone by L.Stolz, but it does not seems to be working.
everything needed is on pcb, plus i added 7812 + 2 Si diodes to make 13.5 V - Vpp
I used 16F877A with icd661.hex bootloader, RS232 cable is about 1m long, shielded and is connested do COM on my machine (PII - 400MHz, 320M memory, win2000)
then i ran MPLAB 7.11 (target connected to ICD clone was 16F648A, the same in MPLAB) and tried to connect to ICD2 clone, but i got this message:

Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
...Connected
Setting Vdd source to target
ICD0082: Failed MPLAB ICD 2 operation
...Reading ICD Product ID
Running ICD Self Test
...Passed
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

i thought that transistor switching Vdd is dead, but it is OK, it could switch voltage and self test told me that Vdd id 4.94 - 5.00 V, so that it seems to be OK. Other voltages (Vpp a Vpp target) are ok (about 13V)

only thing i can do is to hold/release reset on target, when connected as programmer - so it seems that ICD could communicate with MPLAB, but there is malfunction somewhere else, but i really don't know where, i checked everything much times and i reached nothing but errors

i even tried to connect 18F1320, but i got the same output, it downloaded OS and then the same error

i burned other bootloaders to 16F877A, but those dídn't work at all

could anybody help me, please?

thanks, Jardo

18f4550 as com3

I build IC2 but not work

I use
- shematic from h**p://www.stolz.de.be/
- bootlaoder ICD661.hex
- MPLAB 7.11

I also disable FIFO and set hardware flow control in WinXP

MPLAB can connect with ICD2 but it show

Connecting to MPLAB ICD 2
...Connected
ICD0286: Unable to communicate with ICD
MPLAB ICD 2 Ready

download mplab6

milkdrop:

I have buid my ICD2 clone with the 16F877A and works great....

Try using the bootloader posted back named 'bootloader16F877A' by nooknikz.

Added after 11 minutes:

@OOP

Review your hardware, and if looks ok, try using other bootloader.
If you are using the 16F877A, use the file posted by nooknikz named 'bootloader16F877A' as bootloader.

one advice: do not use cables too long between the ICD2 and the target.

greats.

icd2 bootlaoder bl??????.hex

martinisonline:

thanks, i tried that bootloader, but it did not work at all, it is very strange...
there is probably some HW error, but everything seems to be ok, i was staring at the board for two days and i was not able to find something... i work with soldering iron and electronics since my 9 years... and after all, easy circuit like this makes me so many problems... :)
i really don't understand, why it stops when MPLAB is settind Vdd to target... because in Stolz circuit is not Vdd set by some switch, s that Vdd is always present. i measured voltage on RA pin, which controlls Vdd voltage, but there is everything OK and self test says that the voltage is about 5V... so why that error message?

i think the best would be to left it be and try to build a new one :)

and a question: which programmer did you use to program bootloader into blank F877A?
I used classical tait-style programmer. there probably will not be error, but i want to check everything :)

mplab icd2

Search on edaboard the firwmare from Zaphod42, it works fine with my board.
CD

pic16f876a pin b3

crazyduck: thanks, but i tried to use Zaphod's BL too, but no success. i read all the messages on this forum and tried everything before i wrote my question. as i said, i will try to build brand new cicrcuit, because on the old probably i made some mistake i can't see
i will refer how it works :)

OOP: ICD2 clone on page you showed is the same circuit as clone by L. Stolz, just there is added some pic and transistor to generate Vpp from 5V. even screenshots from MPLAM look like that on Lothar pages

Added after 1 hours 18 minutes:

and one more question: how much current draws your ICD2 clone from power supply?
is about 90 miliamperes OK? it seems to me a bit much

16f872.icd

I'm not sure, but i think your problem is the bootloader, because the MPLAB connects with ICD2 and after all it gives an error...

@OOP:
I'm not sure, because i haven't the pic 16F876A to do some tests, but i have read somewere that works.

@milkdrop:
I use the tait serial programer with ic-prog to program the bootloader.

At fist i build the circuit in a breadboard, to do some tests. After sucessfully works, i build it in a 'pre-holed' board.

If you want, I send you my files!!!

here some photos about my circuit:

Status
Not open for further replies.