Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Build a Step up for home use (subnormal mains AC V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonhsmith1212

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am a complete beginner. At my home, we have very serious low voltage condition. I need to make a Step up transformer unit to make at least water pump work. From what I can conclude, I can get myself a board, a transformer and use them to build a Step up transformer unit so that my home appliances can work even under low voltage.

Would be great if the experts here can give some help in building the same.

For stepping up the voltage you only need one component, a transformer. However, the real problem isn't stepping it up, it's stabilizing it.

Consider this scenario:

Your voltage should be 220V and all your appliances work on 220V.
Due to distribution problems you only get about 180V so some things do not work.
You use a transformer to step 180V up to 220V and everything seems OK again. :grin:
Other peoples loading on the line drops and the incoming voltage goes up to say 210V.
Now your transformer steps the 210V up to 260V and damages everything. :-x

Brian.

This question has come up a few times. There does not seem to be an easy low-cost solution. You need a device that outputs a constant voltage. Try a forum search on 'stabilizer' and 'stabilizing'.

Consider assembling a backup power supply. A 12 or 24V battery, a power inverter, and a battery charger. This becomes expensive. The charger needs to be versatile so it works even if mains AC is drooping severely.

Or consider installing a DC water pump. (Another expensive option.) These run on 12 or 24V DC, at a few Amperes. Voltage can be flexible, does not need to be regulated. Thus you might get by with an AC-DC adapter. Make sure if the water intake has sufficient filtering, in case the pump mechanism cannot tolerate dirty water.

Did you consider using a constant voltage transformer? Efficiency may be low but I do not know how much power your pump needs.

What is the Motor of the Pump? You could possibly replace the pump with a three phase machine and install a motor drive to it. Single phase in and three phase out?

Status
Not open for further replies.