Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

buck inductor current measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

niks

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

What is the correct method to measure inductor current in synchronous buck regulator citcuit?

thanks in advance

niks

I think you can use one of CT (Current Transformer) or small resistor, in seri with your inductor

usage of CT(Current transformer) is a better choice because inductor is a reactive and surge related component and in a switching regulator this phenomenon is used... so the usage of resistor would introduce power constraints....

Use a current probe

i have added sense resistor before inductor. I tried probing across it but i am not able to get expected waveform.

what is the problem which you are facing with the waveform.... can you please post your circuit and the waveforms.....

so that we can understand your problem better....

Attaching my circuit. This is 12V to 5V/100mA buck regulator. Actually i would like to measure if my circuit current is limited to 100mA or not. So please help me to measure inductor current.

Q1 not poppulated.

i want the waveform you got and how much it differed from the expected waveform.... also what resistor value you used and the instrument used to obtain the waveform....

Useful link about current sense

you can sense the IR drop of the PMOS transistor, and this voltage could be converted by a V/I converter to obtain the actual inductor current.

Status
Not open for further replies.