Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BNC connector @ 1200 V DC and 500 uA

Status
Not open for further replies.

bilal_oct

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Is there any problem to use BNC connector on RG 58. I have 1200 V DC and 500 uA current through the cable RG 58.

According to RG58 is only rated to 300V RMS.

Then which cable should I use to have 1200 V DC and current 500 uA ?

Please also let me know about BNC connector. Is that ok to use BNC connector ?

Why don't you try using google on your own?

I already gave you your one free search. Try "BNC maximum voltage rating" in a search box.

Major manufacturers (e.g. www.hubersuhner.com) are providing datasheets that precisely answer your question, both cable and connector related. RG58 low frequency operation voltage is specified as 2.5 kV, test voltage 5 kV rms for 1 min. A good quality still works at 25 kV DC.

Dielectric breakdown is higher than the occurrence of Partial Discharge PD which can occur on long cables. It will become electrostatic, attract dust and even cause contact discharge with charged dust on the insulated sleeve. So test it with an scope probe as an shorted loop antenna around the coax. THere are lots of journal references on this topic.

If you have a high voltage device with a connector that looks like BNC, it might be the MHV connector. Looks like BNC, but designed for high voltage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MHV_connector

- - - Updated - - -

It will become electrostatic, attract dust and even cause contact discharge with charged dust on the insulated sleeve. So test it with an scope probe as an shorted loop antenna around the coax.

This doesn't make sense. Shorted loops probe the magnetic field, not the electric field.

Thanks all,

I will use MHV connector on 1.5 m long RG58 cable. The power dissipation in my case is P = V x I = 1200 V DC x 500 uA = 600 mWatt. That should be ok.

That's the load not the cable power disspation. In any case the application is well inside the cable and connector specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.