Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Black box what component values are inside it

Status
Not open for further replies.

walters

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When given a Black box with 3 or 4 terminals
Where or how do u start?

What do u test for? the frequency? phase angle?

what component values are inside it? how would u find at what the component values are inside it?

If the Black Box is a LCR circuit inside where and how would u start first at?
1.) measure the frequency and phase angle?
2.) convert the frequency and phase angle into a component values for the LCR?

HI

have look to the s, h, y, z parameters googling for it must be ok

Sal

What does s, h, y, z mean ?

i dunno what s,h,y,z is...
but when given a black box, i would:

1) test for shorts (possibly figure out the gnd/supply rail)
2) DMM everything (measure the resistance, check if it is a diode) when there is no source and when there is a source
3) use a function generator (to generate a sine wave) and use scope to measure time constant (since u said it is a LRC circuit)
4) sweep w/ func generator to create a freq resp (if u really want...)

Hi

just google "s parameters" and you will get the answer, for example http://www.sss-mag.com/spara.html, I am sure it will be better than my explanation, specially look at the Agilent documents.

Sal

But how do u start to approach a black box with 3 or 4 terminals how would u know which terminal is ground or power? and then if u get a frequency or phase angle how do u convert to a components values?

Measuring phase angle and frequency can only get you net reactance

How do u convert the phase angle into reactance?
how do u convert the frequency into reactance?

measure input and output voltage and current, though; that will give you the impedance.

How do u get the impedance value from the input and output voltage and current how do u convert voltage&current into impedance please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back