Not open for further replies.

archiees

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,
I came across this circuit while studying low nose differential amplifiers. The cascode JFETs which are connected has their Gate tied together to the source of the input FETs. I don't understand how this biasing works.
The JFETs have the VGS(off) ~ -0.5. There is no way all the FETs are biased in their active region.
DOn't we want to keep all the 4 JFETs in the active region? I have made circuits in which i bias the cascode transistors by connecting their gate to the VCC via a resistor.
Is it some low noise technique to have this configuration...are there any advantages?
Please help?

Actually they can all be saturated. They are depletion JFETS so that they can operate with a negative Vgs.

archiees

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Humumgus,
I was implying do we have to bias such that VDS > VGS- Vth, to keep JFETs in the constant current region.

Take a careful look at the architecture. Even if the Vgs is negative or zero, there is room to have Vds of all transistors positive. The aproximation Vds>Vgs-Vth is only valid for deep strong inversion. Actually, once Vgs approaches Vth, some Vt=K.T/q are only needed as Vds to get a constant Ids. Assuming the tail current works in saturation, the size of the cascode transistors can be designed to get the differential pair into saturation and then everything works fine.

archiees

When the common-mode voltage of the input increase, the gate of Q1 & Q2 will increase accordingly to maintain them in the saturation region.

archiees

Sorry for being a real pain guys. Still i don't get one thing.
Ok, let me tell you how i am trying to bias the design.
Just take resistor values to be Rd1 and Rd2.

VG3=VG4=0 volts.
I want the Q3 and Q4 to be biased at VGS = -0.6 and VDS = 3.5 volts. (IDS ~ 10 mAmps for these bias values)
So we assume the VS3=VS4=0.6 volts.
Now, the VD3 and VD4 has to be driven to 4.1 volts. (to keep VDS = 3.5 volts).
Checking the Q1,
VGS1 = 0.6 - 4.1 = --3.5, but the VGS(off) ~ - 2 volts. Here VGS is less than Vth so how this thing will work.
This is where i stumble. How to proceed further and how to select the Drain resistors?

Status
Not open for further replies.