Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Better for PIC:PicBasic Pro,Picbasic Proton Pl or Assembler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

medap

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Which is better for first steps with PICs?

Re: Better for PIC:picBasic Pro,Picbasic Proton Pl or Assemb

Hi,

You'll no doubt get a lot of debate over this question :wink:

Also, try searching this forum - there have been a few threads like this one.

It really depends on what you want to do. Some options:

1. Progress to professional work - assembler (and C)
2. Just some simple control functions - basic
3. more complicated/real time control - assembler

If you just want to play around controlling stuff, either basic will serve (I use MELab's PICBasic Pro).

If you want to move onto professional work or want to design more complicated stuff, C or assembler is much, much better.

Personally, I believe in learning assembler whatever you want to do - it will give you a much better understanding of how the MCU works and how to get the most out of it.

Maybe, if you have time to learn, try both. Write a program in basic, get it working, then try to write it in assembler. Compare the code sizes and speed of execution when you are finished.

Cheers,
FoxyRick.

Salam,

The kids only use basic for programming MCUs.
I use Mixed C & Assembly code for all my development applications.

You can use basic only for small control application and after you have learned assembly.

SphinX

I am not agree with your opinion about Basic for beginners.
I use a mix of PBP and assembly to make my proyects.
Comparing C and Basic compilers, c compilers has a lot of bugs than basic compilers.
And some times if you compare an assembly code made by your own with a compiler code, sometimes the compiler code is shorter that yours.

But this preference depends of the person.

Im Totaly agree with Seinfield.
The C compilers gereate a file that take a lot of memory(Hex more bigs), are less practicals in much cases.and do the same(i dont see a Driver(c file) that do something that Basic cant do)
I think thats C its for other things more complex than a MCUS , C for make a program on Pc its Great(im prefer do it on asm) , but i think that its not neccesary a lot of subfuntions for make a great work on the micros(ACTUALLY) .
Of course its just an opinnion and the preference depends of the person.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.