Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best university in the field of RF and microwave

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiramlee

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey, everybody in the forum. I'm want some suggestions in the choice of university for further study.
Now , I am a student from UESTC (university of electronics science and technology of China) and I will receive my Master degree three years later ,then I'll apply for further study in the field of RF or microwave. I'm interested in transmitter design, and maybe i'm qualified for the definition of HAM.
Which school is a better choice ? Any suggestion will be appreciated .Thanks .
You can type here or send me a e-mail @: yangli0534@gmail.com

Hello
your question is very abroad
at least specify the country you would like :)

Actually, i prefer a American or Canada university . Thank you for your reply .

I assume by "further study" after a masters degree, you mean a Ph.D.

I note you are a ham. Be aware that a Ph.D will be a lot narrower than "transmitter design". You wont do a Ph.D. designing the transmitter parts of a Yaesu or Kenwood transceiver! It will be a very narrow area of transmitter design, if that is what you want. There is an old joke about the Ph.D. process, where you eventually know everything about nothing.

**broken link removed**

At least here in the UK, it is not essential to have a masters degree to do a Ph.D, although I think it is a good idea to do a masters degree first. In any case, you will need a very good first degree to be able to do a Ph.D. here unless you have a masters degree.

I can't help you on US or Canadian universites. Here in the UK, University College London (UCL) is very strong in microwaves and RF. Birmingham Univserity is pretty strong too, and if transmitting to sattelites interests you, then Surrey is the place to go.

If you have a particular area of interest, then it is worth searching the IEEE papers in that area, and see what universities are publishing papers regularly in that area.

If you are 3 years away from getting a masters degree, you would probably be worth waiting a bit before you worry too much about what you do after the masters degree, as it is highly likely your interests might change in that time. There will probably be some area you learn about during the masteres which you find quite interesting.

Disclaimer - I used to work for UCL and did both my masters degree (Microwaves and Optoelectronics) and Ph.D (Medical Physics) there. But for RF, UCL are undoubtably very strong. It is one of the top 10 universities in the UK, for for RF, it is particulary strong.

Dave

Thank you. Thank you very much. what you told me is so inspiring. I'm sure what to do now.

hahahahahahahahhah
hahahahahahahaha
I am so sorry but I cant stop my self. drkirkby you have an amazing comment man hahahahahahahahah (specially the word of ham) :):)

Status
Not open for further replies.