Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best 'free' Online Electronics Course to Start with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm wondering where would be the best place to start learning about electronics independently? Ideally I'd like a course that offers online tutors. Do the courses on edx.com, mooc, or MIT offer any good ones? I have a basic understanding of physics from high school.

I'm not sure if I'd prefer an online tutor that I could pay, or to do an actual course. I wouldn't be looking for someone to teach me, but someone to answer (what would seem like) random questions (and from there) to guide me towards what to study. Is there anyway I could find someone online who I could ask questions to on an on and off basis, and somehow arrange a fair way of paying them for it? I may only need to make contact with them 2 to 3 times per month, so they mightn't be getting paid a lot. So such a tutor would have to enjoy such a thing.

The thing about studying mechanisms, is that they never seem to be explained properly. It may take hours of frustration to realise that you were imagining something the wrong way. Whenever I read such concepts I mostly find myself with quite a few questions. It is then hard to motivate myself to read further without these questions being answered. Studying further concepts without properly understanding the concepts underpinned by so is feels pointless. Lately I was trying to understand the commutator (in a generator), but got a bit bewildered!

This is just one such example of a course I've considered so far.:

Thanks for reading

I'm a big fan of learning-by-doing, not so much
of coursework. Any course will drag you along the
professor's path, not yours.

Let me suggest that you start with picking a modest
yet interesting project with a goal that inspires you,
and begin it. Reference materials are abundant now,
it's focus that's the challenge with so much "chaff"
and "clutter". A defined project will pull you in the
direction you need to go, learning-wise. The point
problem du jour and the steps of its solution are
education with purpose, and will "stick" a lot better
than rote learning of formulae and so on.

Of course then you know "enough" about a limited
set of things. It's still a start, and better than knowing
not-quite-enough about a wider range of things
(which is the outcome of undergrad studies). The
next project could have an altogether different theme,
and now you are broadening a base of knowledge
that is proven sufficient to get things done.

The thing about studying mechanisms, is that they never seem to be explained properly. It may take hours of frustration to realise that you were imagining something the wrong way. Whenever I read such concepts I mostly find myself with quite a few questions. It is then hard to motivate myself to read further without these questions being answered. Studying further concepts without properly understanding the concepts underpinned by so is feels pointless. Lately I was trying to understand the commutator (in a generator), but got a bit bewildered!
You are not alone!

The fundamental nature of learning is that it takes hours of frustration to realize that you were going the wrong way.

That realization is the key of the learning process; it cannot be taught and it is not portable.

Seeking answers to fundamental questions is the basic learning process.

To understand the commutation process in a real generator can be messy. But just imagine (gedanken is the word) one single coil and two semi-circular foils as the commutator; how the brushes should be placed?

Once you understand this, the rest falls in place; they are just a matter of detail. You can always look up these points.

That it may appear that many things are poorly explained is caused by learning pressure. Take a break for a couple of minutes and then look again at the same explanation from a different angle. Yes, it may clear up!

But I too feel that good text books are getting fewer and rarer.

A defined project will pull you in the
direction you need to go, learning-wise. The point
problem du jour and the steps of its solution are
education with purpose, and will "stick" a lot better
than rote learning of formulae and so on.
You mean some sort of electronics kit?

Not a kit necessarily. Although that's how I got started,
a Heathkit 101 Experiments kit. Can't say it was all that
educational - you follow the detailed hookup of the
components on the panel, and you're told what it is,
but there was no theory to speak of, no discussion of
what you might change for what result, etc. Still it was
sort of like the funky spiral start of the Yellow Brick Road
and that's not nothing; everyone needs to start somewhere.
The main thing is to start.

But you could treat any of the many youtube or edaboard
or other projects' Web exposition, as a "build your own kit" and
work outward from the description. You'd educate yourself
along the way about sourcing components, you could dig
into the theory behind "whatever it is" (radio, motion detector,
servo controlled motor, whatever turns you on) and perhaps
notice that you are coming up with your own "what if?" or
even incremental invention improving on something or other.
--- Updated ---

... I wouldn't be looking for someone to teach me, but someone to answer (what would seem like) random questions (and from there) to guide me towards what to study. Is there anyway I could find someone online who I could ask questions to on an on and off basis, and somehow arrange a fair way of paying them for it? ...

That's something this place is exactly for - only we don't ask for
payment, only that you pay it forward yourself when you have a
contribution to make. Your questions here (if you're not engaged
in self-promotion or dumb-assery) may help someone else a day
or a year from now. Answers don't appear without somebody
asks a question, generally.

Here is a run-down of all the different field sof electronics

here is the maths needed for general SMPS design

Here is a free smps design course, with demo LTspice simulations to get you started.

Building real circuits is best....but you wont have time to build many....so you shoudl use the simulator (LTspice) to help you understand

By The way, IMHO, SMPS design is the "easiest area of electronics to learn"..its just an extension of A Level math and physics.

Other areas may often need some kind of "insider information" for you to get along with it.

I wouldnt slave over detailed understanding of a commutator......try to understand what its for.....a commutator is so that you can get AC current into a motor, from a DC source. As long as you understand that fact..........if you dont understand it...think of putting a straight DC voltage into a DC motor coil......nothing would happen, (no rotation) except maybe blowing the fuse.

Youll find that you pick up electronics quicker if you work on a project,.....especially if its a project

for which money will be payed for it when its finished.

Also, have you worked out whether you are a software or a hardware engineer yet? Some people just seem to have a knack for software.....and some engineers do both.....eg an engineer may design a BLDC drive and program it up to drive the motor.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back