Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

best computer specifications for good CST performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

suh

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I will buy a new computer with a budget of about 1200$ including the monitor, can any body advice me for the best computer specifications I should have to get a fast and good CST simulation , I mean on what should i consider when customizing the computer specification
thanks

If you can afford to buy a CST license, you should allocate more than $1200 to the computer!

Dave

Thanks Dave for your comment , both will be covered from my institution , but I will have to choose and pay first

I had the following recommendations from CST, for any body who might need it::smile:

"EM simulations can be classified as high performance computing tasks. Therefore, the CPU, RAM, and graphic performance of workstations used for CST applications should meet high requirements. Likewise, a sufficient power supply and heat flow have to be ensured for the workstation. Thus, we strongly recommend to buy a complete package from a brandname manufacturer, e.g. DELL, HP, or IBM.
We strongly recommend that the chosen hardware meets the following requirements. For a workstation without special acceleration features (i.e., CPU Computing or MPI Computing) we recommend,
· The latest Intel Xeon processor (currently the Intel Xeon processors of the 5600 series, codename "Westmere")
· Fast RAM memory modules (DDR3, RDIMM). The memory modules need to be arranged in multiples of three (3 modules, 6 modules, etc.) per socket. Please note that the maximum memory bandwidth depends on the number of RAM modules:
6 modules per socket -> max. bandwidth = 1333 MHz 9 modules per socket -> max. bandwidth = 800 MHz
· Thus, we recommend to prefer a small number of modules with a high capacity rather than a large number of modules with a smaller capacity. For a multiprocessor system we recommend at least 12-24 GB RAM per socket depending on the complexity of your application.
· 100% OpenGL compatible graphics card. For the best performance of the 3D modeling and post processing interface we recommend a fast 3D graphics card (e.g. cards of the Nvidia Quadro series).
If the usage of special acceleration features (GPU Computing/MPI Computing) offered by CST STUDIO SUITE." is intended there are additional requirements the hardware should meet. Please refer to the GPU Computing Guide (**broken link removed**) and the MPI Computing Guide (**broken link removed**) to learn more about those special requirements.":wink:

All right. To get my EM simulator running I have to arrange on my computer the memory modules in multiples of three (3 modules, 6 modules, etc.).
Is this related to the nodes and anti-nodes of the waves?
Nodes and Anti-nodes

All right. To get my EM simulator running I have to arrange on my computer the memory modules in multiples of three (3 modules, 6 modules, etc.).
Is this related to the nodes and anti-nodes of the waves?
Nodes and Anti-nodes

sorry i do not have this information I got it from the company by contacting them and you can get any technical details from them they will give you all information you require just contact the branch in your region by Email, and get what you need

No problem. Was just a joke :)
All these EM simulator manufacturers instead to simplify and make things easier to be implemented they go backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back